none
Office 2000 Excel addin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have created a Excel add-in using C# 2.0 where i have used Excel 11.0 Class library.

->The add-in creates some Commandbuttons on a Commandbar and attach some Eventhandlers to it.

It works ok for users having Excel 2003 and Excel 2007 ,But it behaves differently in Excel 2000.

The events are not getting fired on button Click .

Steps i have followed to avoid this issue.

1) Created custom interop dll of Excel 2000 using tlbimp command as :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC>tlbimp.exe c:\Demo\Excel9.OLB /out=
    c:\Demo\Excel9.interop.dll /keyfile:office2k.snk

2) I got Office.dll and Excel9.interop.dll 

3) added the reference of Excel9.interop.dll into my project and made some changes in my project (Like Workbook.Open( 15params) to WorkBook.Open(13params)

4) Added the newly created Office.dll by removing the old Office.Core.dll as it has some complication with CommandBar object i used in my project.

5) Build my project and created my Setup file.

6) All the Office inetrop dll are copied to GAC.

7) But still it doesn't work for office 2000 version,but worked for Office 2003 and Office 2007 version.I am not getting commandbars on Excel 2000

Can anybody suggest me where i made the mistake.

(I am guessing some problem with Excel CommandBar object reffered from Office.dll)

Thanks

Das

Dwipayan Das
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:45 PM

Answers

• VSTO will not work in Excel 2000, only 2003 and 2007.

You can find more information on which Versions of the VSTO and which versions of excel are usable in the FAQ's at the start of the forum threads
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:09 PM

All replies

• VSTO will not work in Excel 2000, only 2003 and 2007.

You can find more information on which Versions of the VSTO and which versions of excel are usable in the FAQ's at the start of the forum threads
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:09 PM

•            Is there any workaround for it.Any low level API of Excel ?

IF i want to create a CommandBar and CommandButton in Excel 2003 how can i create it ?

Thanks

Das

Dwipayan Das
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:14 PM
  •           Is there any workaround for it.Any low level API of Excel ?

IF i want to create a CommandBar and CommandButton in Excel 2003 how can i create it ?

You'd need to create a standard COM add-in, using the "Shared Add-in" Visual Studio template. These are supported in the office.developer.com.add_ins newsgroup. You'll find a link in the forum's Please Read First message.
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Hi Cindy Meister,

I have done with the fix now. I was having some method signatures issues between Office 2003 PIA and Office 2000 interop.dll (which i created).

As i am using shared add-in , the issue got resolved.But do you suggest me to use old interop to support office 2000 .Is there anything strange appear if the same add-in will be used by a user having Office 2003 or Office 2007 ?

Thanks

Das
    Dwipayan Das
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Hi Cindy Meister,

I have given a task to explore more VSTO features by Microsoft.

We have a ERP application (J2EE/Java/Sqlserver 2008) which has desktop users who uses Microsoft Office Excel.

We have shipped our COM-Addin to commuicate with our Application with Excel application and IE.It works fine with us.

Now we want to support and enhance the product with new Office applications Office 2007/2010.

In server side we have planned to create webservices.

So we want to explore all Microsoft .NET 3.5 and VSTO features before going for a product design.

Could you suggest me what are the areas Micorosft VSTO can be used for our product .We want to do all throuh Excel.

Like;LOGIN To our ERP using VSTO and do partial data refresh in our Excel template ,smart tags,

Thanks

Dwipayan Das
    Dwipayan Das
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:18 AM