Looking for Ideas to Track Time Spent on Qualified Capital Enhancements RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have been asked to try and track enhancements (user stories, tasks, bugs) which should be capitalized.  I am looking for any feedback on ways to do this within TFS.  Basically we already know which items qualify but we want all the hours spent working on these capital projects to come out on a report at the end of the year. 

Should we be looking at adding an additional field to track the type of ticket to TFS?  Has anyone done this before and created a report that can be used to show all completed capital tasks or rolled up by user story along with their total time by assigned resource?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Friday, January 21, 2011 1:25 PM

Answers

• Good afternoon,

I guess the question is how you actually want to get at that.  If you are willing to trust the time that the developers would enter into the TFS system, this would be pretty straight forward.   Just understand that there is usually a disconnect between the time that is entered and any meetings and background tasks that might go into working through a work item. 

If you use the agile template, the process is for the developers to enter the time that they spent resolving tasks on a daily basis.  This information gets stored in the Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.CompletedWork field. (I generally like to see this rolled up into the user story at the functional level and use the Conchango aggregation service to do that, but you could do it in excel or through a report.) 

To flag items that would be a Qualified Capital Enhancement, I would add a field to the Work item and make sure it is reportable so you can filter on that in reports and queries.  This should get you there.

Ryan Hanisco MCSE, MCTS:SQL 2005, Project+
    techsterity.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by Bumpdaddy Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:16 PM
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:50 PM

All replies

• Have you taken a look at the project server integration CTP?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=f221c660-161b-43ca-95f3-e0e4aad8d43e

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/briankel/archive/2010/08/10/getting-started-with-the-tfs-and-project-server-integration-ctp.aspx

This is a very nice task for Project Server.

Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Good afternoon,

I guess the question is how you actually want to get at that.  If you are willing to trust the time that the developers would enter into the TFS system, this would be pretty straight forward.   Just understand that there is usually a disconnect between the time that is entered and any meetings and background tasks that might go into working through a work item. 

If you use the agile template, the process is for the developers to enter the time that they spent resolving tasks on a daily basis.  This information gets stored in the Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.CompletedWork field. (I generally like to see this rolled up into the user story at the functional level and use the Conchango aggregation service to do that, but you could do it in excel or through a report.) 

To flag items that would be a Qualified Capital Enhancement, I would add a field to the Work item and make sure it is reportable so you can filter on that in reports and queries.  This should get you there.

Ryan Hanisco MCSE, MCTS:SQL 2005, Project+
    techsterity.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by Bumpdaddy Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:16 PM
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Hi Bumpdaddy,

Do the suggestions Ewald and Ryan offered you help you?

Thanks,

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 24, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Thanks Everyone for the suggestion.  I like Ryan's suggestion for a simple additional field.  Since we are already tracking estimated, remaining and completed time, I think a simple excel export of the user storeis and/or a custom reporting services report would be sufficient.  We are completly new to TFS so if anyone has a suggestion about the best way to add a files to the work item to mark a capital enhancement with a flag, I would love to hear.

Thanks

Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Take a look at the process template editor in the power tools: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/c255a1e4-04ba-4f68-8f4e-cd473d6b971f/

Also see the MSDN page on Work Item Type modifications: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd695793.aspx

Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:13 PM