none
Generate Automatic Emails on Microsoft Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am fairly new to Microsoft Access and am trying to generate automated emails for my supervisor 90 days prior to the due date. I have a master table from which I created a query that lists all of the information I need. The fields that are included in the query are the employee name, email and due date. I also added  a 'NumDay" field within the query which calculates the difference between the due date and todays date. I want to know how to create a module which can generate automated emails of the employees once the "NumDay" field reaches 90. I have no experience with Microsoft Visual Basic coding and would need assistance to complete this task.

Thanks,
    Nigel Herbert
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I am fairly new to Microsoft Access and am trying to generate automated emails for my supervisor 90 days prior to the due date. I have a master table from which I created a query that lists all of the information I need. The fields that are included in the query are the employee name, email and due date. I also added  a 'NumDay" field within the query which calculates the difference between the due date and todays date. I want to know how to create a module which can generate automated emails of the employees once the "NumDay" field reaches 90. I have no experience with Microsoft Visual Basic coding and would need assistance to complete this task.

Thanks,
    Nigel Herbert

Nigel, 

There are more kinds of Basic, this forum is for the version in Visual Studio .Net, which can use Access DataBase but is not the one inside Access. In Access is VBA which has an own forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=isvvba

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by Nigel Herbert Thursday, August 3, 2017 3:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks,
    Nigel Herbert

Nigel, 

There are more kinds of Basic, this forum is for the version in Visual Studio .Net, which can use Access DataBase but is not the one inside Access. In Access is VBA which has an own forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=isvvba

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by Nigel Herbert Thursday, August 3, 2017 3:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:00 PM
  • I had to do something similar a few months back.  Here is the solution I came up with. 

Option Compare Database

Private Sub Command1_Click()

AllEmails = ""
    For Each ctrl In Me.qry_Ryan_Emails.Controls

If TypeName(ctrl) = "CheckBox" Then
            If ctrl.Enabled = True Then
                AllEmails = AllEmails & " " & Me!qry_Ryan_Emails.Form.Work_Email
            End If
        End If

Next ctrl

Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
        Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0)
        eSubject = Me!Subject
        eBody = Me!Message

On Error Resume Next

With OutMail
            .To = AllEmails
            .CC = ""
            .BCC = ""
            .Subject = eSubject
            .BodyFormat = olFormatHTML
            .Display
            .HTMLBody = eBody & vbCrLf & .HTMLBody
            .Send
        End With

On Error GoTo 0
        Set OutMail = Nothing
        Set OutApp = Nothing

End Sub

This line concatenates all emails into one string.

AllEmails = AllEmails & " " & Me!qry_Ryan_Emails.Form.Work_Email

Then I just send 1 email to the group.

This link is very useful for referencing controls on forms and subforms.

http://access.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0031.htm

It sends emails from a multi-select ListBox.  Post back if you have additional questions.

MY BOOK

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 10:59 PM
  • I just re-read this post.  Check out the link below.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-auto-email-access-reports

Also, to expand on my original idea, you can try the following.

First of all you create a query for therecords and in the "alert" field you put in the Criteria row

DueDate() or Date()

for the same day, or

Date() + 90 

for 90 days ahead.
    You then create an Autoexec macro (that runs when the database is opened) to open a "hidden" form based on the query
    On that form you have some simple VBA in the "On Load" or "On Current" event procedure like

If Not Isnull(me.recordcount) or me.recordcount > 0 then
    me.Visible = True
    msgbox "the Records shown require action today"
    end if 

MY BOOK

• Edited by ryguy72 Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:48 AM
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:43 AM