none
UI legal issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is not the right forum for this question, but it seems appropriate.

Basically, I am creating a special kind of IDE which uses the common dockable window layout. I really like the look of VS2010,

so I modelled the colour scheme, and window subtleties on this platform. What I want to know is what are the legal ramifications

(if any) of creating an app that looks somewhat like visual studio 2010? My application has nothing to do with code/application

development, and there are many apps out there that use docking systems. If there are implications, then how much does the UI

of an application have to be different to any other? i.e. what if it looked like VS but with a completely different colour scheme? What

about a similar colour scheme with a completely different look? Any help would be appreciated, as I know much of the software industry

is like any other artistic industry with many legal grey areas. If it makes any difference, my application may be released as open source.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:18 AM

All replies

• Greeting

Why are u trying to re-invent the wheel ?

Any tools in .net framework 4.0 can created using the vs 2010 , understand the functional requirement and do the design of your application and start coding.

Before you start any software development , you need to understand the business point of view.

Good luck.

PL

Helping People To Solve Technical Problems
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:07 PM
  • I'm not sure that you understand the query. Please re-read.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:55 PM