Is it possible to update secondary live tile before it is pinned in WinRT?

Question

• Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it's possible to update a secondary live tile before it is pinned in a WinRT app (on both WP and Windows 8.1).

On WP that would provide a much better experience than putting a "OPEN THE APP" placeholder image on the tile prompting the user to reopen the app so that the tile can be updated after it's pinned. And on Windows 8.1, it would allow the user to actually see what they're pinning before it's pinned.

Ryken Productions

• Edited by Ryken100 Saturday, November 15, 2014 10:45 PM Mention that I mean secondary tiles
    Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:23 PM

All replies

• ofcourse you can send tile updates before it's pinned. Then the nottification shows up as soon the tile is pinned but what you mean with previewing?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Saturday, November 15, 2014 9:35 PM
  • Hi Dave, sorry I should've mentioned that I meant secondary tiles. I've updated the post to reflect that.

From what I've tried it's not possible to create a TileUpdater for a secondary tile before it's pinned, and there doesn't appear to be a method in SecondaryTile to update it with a TileNotification that I can use before it's pinned.

Was wondering if there was a workaround for this.

Ryken Productions

Saturday, November 15, 2014 10:48 PM
  • Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to do? Sending an update for a non-existent tile doesn't make sense. You can create the initial tile however you'd like, and you can push an update immediately after pinning it if needed. You don't need to wait for the user to tap the new tile first.

Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:12 PM
    Owner
  • Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to do? Sending an update for a non-existent tile doesn't make sense. You can create the initial tile however you'd like, and you can push an update immediately after pinning it if needed. You don't need to wait for the user to tap the new tile first.

Hi Rob,

I'm creating an image tile that represents a list of videos, the tile is notification queue enabled and will show images of the 5 most recent videos in the list. The images are made with UIElements using a RenderTargetBitmap.

On WP 8.1, after pinning the tile the app is suspended before the tile notifications can go through since it goes to the start screen automatically to show the pinned tile (which will only have the app logo as the tile couldn't yet be updated). And on Windows 8.1 a preview of the tile is shown in a confirmation popup before the tile is pinned, and no notifications can be applied to that preview tile, so it only shows the app logo.

I was hoping that I could initially create an updated tile and THEN pin it, like in Silverlight, because I think that would lead to an (at least slightly) improved user experience as the user would immediately see what the tile truly looks like rather than just the logo (or some other placeholder image).

So then, I'm guessing this isn't possible in WinRT? 

Ryken Productions

Sunday, November 16, 2014 8:17 PM
  • don't think so

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Monday, November 17, 2014 7:25 AM
  • There is a way.

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Updating-a-pinned-85995d05

This is an example how you can do it.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:50 AM