Will not run on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• My program runs fine on Windows 7 and XP but it will not run on Windows 8. It just says "stopped working" in the middle of the launch.

And Windows 8 will not give me any details at all. Just says they will notify me is a solution is found. At least in Windows 7 they gave you a clue.

It stopping on InitializeComponent();

Any ideas please?

• Edited by Dennis__V Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:12 PM new data
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 1:57 PM

Answers

• It was crashing on a third party control and they suggested I include Microsoft.mshtml.dll in my setup project and that fixed the problem.

I included Microsoft.mshtml.dll version 7.0.3300.0 in case someone else has this problem. Something to try.

I'm trying to get use to Windows 8 and I wish they would have included some details in the error message like all previous versions of Windows.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:44 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:06 PM

All replies

• Are you developing on a Windows 8 system?  By that I mean, do you have Visual Studio installed on a Windows 8 system on which you are doing your compiling.  And if so, can you compile and run even a simple hello world program on your Windows 8 box?

Or are you developing on Windows 7 and simply attempting to deploy your application to a Windows 8 system?  If this is the problem, can you deploy your application successfully to a fresh Windows 7 system?  What is your deployment mechanism?  Perhaps you have forgotten to include the .NET runtime or something like that?

Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:15 PM
  • I'm developing on a Windows 7 PC with Visual Studio 2012 - C# - Winforms - Net 4.0

It's crashing on a Windows 8 laptop. But it runs fine on an older Windows 7 laptop. 

In my InstallShield setup project I tried Net Framwork 4.0 Full package but that did not help. It's now set back to NET 4.0 Client package.

Thanks

Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:36 PM
  • This sounds like a installer/deployment issue.

Just to make sure, does it also fail with a brand new, empty / "hello world" Windows forms application?  (Just create a new windows forms application using the template and don't do anything to it, then create an installer for your hello world program and see if it works on the Windows 8 system.)

Thursday, December 5, 2013 3:49 PM
  • It was crashing on a third party control and they suggested I include Microsoft.mshtml.dll in my setup project and that fixed the problem.

I included Microsoft.mshtml.dll version 7.0.3300.0 in case someone else has this problem. Something to try.

I'm trying to get use to Windows 8 and I wish they would have included some details in the error message like all previous versions of Windows.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:44 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 4:06 PM