none
ReportViewer timing out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an issue with the ReportViewer built into Visual Studio 2008, as follows:

I have built an MSVS2008 .aspx page (in VB) report that runs to three pages and includes charts (built using Dundas Charts). The report is accessed using a standard VS2008 ReportViewer control which causes a session timeout to occur, sometimes when the report is loading and sometimes while trying to view the report after it has loaded into the browser. The point at which the session timeout occurs varies but can be as little as two or three minutes after loading the report or sometimes when using the report controls to move between the various pages of the report (thereby not loading the next page but bringing a timeout message on the screen instead).

I have set the AsyncRendering to False but this just causes the page scrollbars to disappear and doesn't have the slightest effect on the ReportViewer timing out.

The page is within a website project that is housed on a remote shared server but the problem also occurs when the report page is viewed in my local browser, although the timescale toward session timeout is slightly longer when in the local browser.

The session timeout also happens whenever I attempt to export the report to PDF, using any export method.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Cheers,
    Samson01
    Friday, December 12, 2008 12:00 PM

All replies

• Are you receiving an error from the report server that your execution session has expired or is it an ASP.Net error that ASP.Net session has expired?

If it is an ASP.Net error, you may want to look into whether you have a set up a web garden in IIS or a network load balancer.  If a request to the web server for report page navigation or export does not get routed to the same worker process as the original page execution and your ASP.Net session state is set to inproc (which is the default), and therefore not shared by all of the worker processes, then it will look like the session has expired to the report viewer.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:41 PM