none
When copying blobs from Region to Region, are StorageAPIs Server to Server?

Answers

• When using the Copy Blob REST API to copy blobs from one region to another, it is a server side copy operation.

The client library does not download blob from source account and re-upload to the destination account. It is occurring on the server side.

Friday, August 7, 2015 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Using " blob copy API " You can copy VHDs between storage accountsin the same region/data center or across regions/data centers and best of all the source and destination do not even have to be in the same subscription.  see details here.

Azcopy is one of the command line utility that serves the purpose of copying blobs from one Datacenter region to another one.

See How to Copy Azure Blob across Microsoft Azure Datacenters using AzCopy

Reference : https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/storage-use-azcopy/

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:00 PM
  • AzCopy - When you copy a blob within a storage account or across storage accounts, a server-side copy operation is performed

1. My question is "when using the API to copy from region to region is a server-side copy operation is performed"?

2. I need to rename the blobs when I copy them:

Source:
    containerName = document-ak-2015-01
    fileName = myfile.pdf

Desitation:
    containerName = ak
    filename = 2015/01/myfile.pdf

AzCopy does not support changing the file/blob name.

So I need to use the API.

Thank you, Terrence

Thursday, August 6, 2015 9:06 PM
  • When using the Copy Blob REST API to copy blobs from one region to another, it is a server side copy operation.

The client library does not download blob from source account and re-upload to the destination account. It is occurring on the server side.

Friday, August 7, 2015 5:20 PM
  • Thank you.

Thank you, Terrence

Friday, August 7, 2015 6:34 PM