XBAP Error "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect." RRS feed

• Question

• I have one user that is having problems running any XBAP applications.  The user gets "the application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect".  We have cleaned isolated storage, ran mage.exe -cc, reinstalled .Net 3.0 SP1, ran the XBAP permission tool, upgraded the browser to IE 8.0 RC.  No luck.  I can't find any other instances of this issue via web searches.  Before I have the user get their machine re-imaged I thought I would post the issue.

One other odd thing is that in the title of the error message box has a file path of ...\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\...xbap.  Not sure what the Content.IE5 is since the user is on IE8.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Monday, February 23, 2009 10:09 PM

Answers

• Typically this error is a result of failure to load the VC80 (for 3.X) C Runtime libraries (CRT).

Since you mention 3.0 Sp1 (which shipped with 3.5 RTM) you probably want to reinstall the VS 2008 CRT library as seen here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en 

Hope this helps,
    Matt
    SDET : Deployment/Hosting
    • Marked as answer by Tao Liang Tuesday, March 3, 2009 2:10 AM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:13 PM
  • If you can run a standalone WPF application, you have the needed VC8 runtime. It is v8.0.50727.3053, which is only included in the latest release of the .NET Framework (v2.0 SP2, v3.5 SP1) and, AFAIK, not available for separate download.

What is the file version of PresentationHost.exe you have? What about x:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WPF\PresentationHostDLL.dll?

When you get the error message, see if you have a running instance of PresentationHost.exe. If you do, get the list of loaded modules in it with the Process Explorer tool from sysinternals.com. (Shortcut is Ctrl+D.) If you don't, just run PresentationHost directly from the System32 folder. That should give you the error message.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:16 PM

All replies

• Typically this error is a result of failure to load the VC80 (for 3.X) C Runtime libraries (CRT).

Since you mention 3.0 Sp1 (which shipped with 3.5 RTM) you probably want to reinstall the VS 2008 CRT library as seen here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en 

Hope this helps,
    Matt
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:13 PM
  • I had the user install the VC80 runtime libraries but they are still getting the same error.  Here is what is in the event log:

1- ID 59: Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\system32\PresentationHost.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.
    2- ID 59: Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
    3- ID 32: Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
    4- ID 10000: Unable to start a DCOM Server: {ADBE6DEC-9B04-4A3D-A09C-4BB38EF1351C}. The error: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. " Happened while starting this command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\PresentationHost.exe -Embedding

What is interesting is that the error in the event log says the reference assembly is not installed on the system.  I had the user install and reboot.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:00 PM
  • I now have another user this a similar problem.  They can't running any XBAP's either.  This user gets the following error:

Application Identity:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException: External Component has thrown an exception
         at MS.Internal.AppModel.ApplicationProxyInternal..ctor()
         at System.Windows.Interop.DocObjHost.MS.Internal.AppModel.IBrowserHostServices.Run(...)

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Well it's possible you need to get a different version of the VC80 Redist.   The one I listed is the VS 2008 RTM CRT redistributable package, but you can also try installing the 2008 SP1 one or the 2005 RTM (Unlikely to be the correct one).  At this point though it's probably easiest to have the user reinstall the .NET framework, since this always installs the related CRT.   Clearly, something has gone wrong with their installation, so instead of continuing to debug it, it'd be quicker to re-do.

Hope this helps,
    Matt
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:55 PM
  • I already had the user remove all versions of .Net and re-install .Net 3.0 SP1.  No lick.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:55 PM
  • If you can run a standalone WPF application, you have the needed VC8 runtime. It is v8.0.50727.3053, which is only included in the latest release of the .NET Framework (v2.0 SP2, v3.5 SP1) and, AFAIK, not available for separate download.

What is the file version of PresentationHost.exe you have? What about x:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WPF\PresentationHostDLL.dll?

When you get the error message, see if you have a running instance of PresentationHost.exe. If you do, get the list of loaded modules in it with the Process Explorer tool from sysinternals.com. (Shortcut is Ctrl+D.) If you don't, just run PresentationHost directly from the System32 folder. That should give you the error message.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Both users have the same version for the following:

PresentationHost.exe version is v3.0.6920.1109 (lh_tools_devdiv_wpf.071009-1109)
    PresentationHostDLL.dll verions is v3.0.6920.1109
    (lh_tools_devdiv_wpf.071009-1109)

I can email you the entire stack trace and loaded assemblies.  If that is helpful.  I don't want to post them on this thread.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:58 PM
  • It seems we are confusing different releases of the framework. You started talking about v3.0 SP1. The PresentationHost version numbers you showed correspond to it. But that release of PH does not depend on the VC 8 CRT. The one that does is the last one: v3.0 SP2 (included in v3.5 SP1). Which version do you mean to target with your application?

Perhaps the best way to proceed is for you to send me some debugging logs. Also run depends.exe (from an SDK or Visual Studio command window) on the above binaries and see how the references to msvc*.dll get resolved.

Do standalone WPF applications run on the affected computers? (You can build a simple one in VS or run XamlPad from the SDK.) If they do, please note the versions of msvcr*.dll loaded in the process.

Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:58 PM