none
Step by step document window zoom through keyboard shortcuts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

As a keyboard shortcut freak, I'd love to be able to zoom in and out of the Word document view step by step. Like in Acrobat (Reader), one can zoom in and out by pressing Ctrl_+ resp. Ctrl_-. I am aware of the macro function ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom (I've thankfully applied these to switch between fullpage, textwidth etc.). But how to zoom in and out keyboard-wise step by step?

Whoever is so kind as to post an answer: thank you so much.

John Joyhill (from The NL).

• Edited by John Joyhill Friday, February 12, 2016 9:48 PM textual error correction
    Friday, February 12, 2016 7:18 PM

Answers

• >>>As a keyboard shortcut freak, I'd love to be able to zoom in and out of the Word document view step by step.

According to your description, as far as I know  there's no keyboard shortcuts specifically for zooming.

Instead, create these two new VBA routines (macros):

Sub MyZoomIn()
        Dim ZP As Integer
        ZP = Int(ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage * 1.1)
        If ZP > 200 Then ZP = 200
        ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage = ZP
    End Sub

Sub MyZoomOut()
        Dim ZP As Integer
        ZP = Int(ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage * 0.9)
        If ZP < 10 Then ZP = 10
    End Sub

Then assign keyboard shortcuts to them:

1.Click the File tab.
    2.Click Options.
    3.Click Customize Ribbon, and then click Customize.
    4.In the Save changes in box, click the current document name or template that you want to save the keyboard shortcut changes in.
    5.In the Categories box, click the category that contains the command or other item that you want to assign a keyboard shortcut to or remove a keyboard shortcut from.
    6.In the Commands box, click the name of the command or other item that you want to assign a keyboard shortcut to or remove a keyboard shortcut from.
    Any keyboard shortcuts that are currently assigned appear in the Current keys box.
    7.Assign a keyboard shortcut:
    a. Begin keyboard shortcuts with CTRL or a function key.
    b. In the Press new shortcut key box, press the combination of keys that you want to assign. For example, press CTRL plus the key that you want to use.
    c. Look at Currently Assigned to see if the combination of keys is already assigned to a command or other item. If so, select a different combination.
    d. Click Assign.

For more information, click here to refer about Accessibility features in Word

• Marked as answer by John Joyhill Friday, February 19, 2016 7:15 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 1:50 AM

All replies

• >>>As a keyboard shortcut freak, I'd love to be able to zoom in and out of the Word document view step by step.

According to your description, as far as I know  there's no keyboard shortcuts specifically for zooming.

Instead, create these two new VBA routines (macros):

Sub MyZoomIn()
        Dim ZP As Integer
        ZP = Int(ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage * 1.1)
        If ZP > 200 Then ZP = 200
    End Sub

Sub MyZoomOut()
        Dim ZP As Integer
        ZP = Int(ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage * 0.9)
        If ZP < 10 Then ZP = 10
    End Sub

Then assign keyboard shortcuts to them:

1.Click the File tab.
    2.Click Options.
    3.Click Customize Ribbon, and then click Customize.
    4.In the Save changes in box, click the current document name or template that you want to save the keyboard shortcut changes in.
    5.In the Categories box, click the category that contains the command or other item that you want to assign a keyboard shortcut to or remove a keyboard shortcut from.
    6.In the Commands box, click the name of the command or other item that you want to assign a keyboard shortcut to or remove a keyboard shortcut from.
    Any keyboard shortcuts that are currently assigned appear in the Current keys box.
    7.Assign a keyboard shortcut:
    a. Begin keyboard shortcuts with CTRL or a function key.
    b. In the Press new shortcut key box, press the combination of keys that you want to assign. For example, press CTRL plus the key that you want to use.
    c. Look at Currently Assigned to see if the combination of keys is already assigned to a command or other item. If so, select a different combination.
    d. Click Assign.

For more information, click here to refer about Accessibility features in Word

• Marked as answer by John Joyhill Friday, February 19, 2016 7:15 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 1:50 AM
  • Superbe, David_JunFeng, works perfectly!

I have made it work slightly different: start a macro-recording, name it and indicate the preferred keyboard shortcut. Record a keystroke, end recording. Edit the macro, copy-replace the section between sub and end-sub. Redo this for the second macro. Done.

Thnx again.

Friday, February 19, 2016 7:11 PM