Why do we need XAML? RRS feed

• Question

• XAML extensible Application Markup Language introduced with .Net 3.0 and now in use but I am not able to figure out that why do we move to XAML from aspx? Please suggest!
    Thanks!! MCP
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:12 PM

Answers

• aspx is meant for server side processing, xaml is mainly used for client side userinterface interaction. There's no "moving" since they are both different technologies addressing different problems.
    • Proposed as answer by Reed Copsey, JrMVP Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by GurunGuns Monday, April 19, 2010 11:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by GurunGuns Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:39 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Hey....

The Major Differences when you compare the XAML - Silverlight and ASPx are

1. The Run Time :- The ASPX uses the ASP.Net Run Time which is loaded in the IIS, rather Silver Light Runtime is a portion of CLR. Which we can download dowload in to the Client Machine and perform operations.

2. The XAML supports Rich User Interface, which means no need of JS and others. We can use the Straight away .NET WPF Animation Functions.

3. It also supports the Out Of Browser Support. (We can use the Server Web Application as a Client Application). Its included in Silverlight 4.0

Also there are many more Advantages in the XAML.  Check on the Net for further info.

Hope this would throws some light on your question.

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
    Gopi V

If you have found this post helpful, please click the Vote as Helpful link (the green triangle and number on the top-left).

If this post answers your question, click the Mark As Answered link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.

• Marked as answer by GurunGuns Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:35 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:18 AM
  • Both are XML based mark up that help you define the look and feel of your application.  By both I mean XAML and the (x)HTML aspect of your ASPX.  XAML helps you declaratively define the UI of your Silverlight application, HTML for your web application.  Both Silverlight and ASP.Net support the separation of these markups from more formal application code.  As was previously stated, code in Silverlight acts on the client, while code in ASP.Net acts on the server.  There is a great deal of overlap from the user's perspective as both technologies are integrated into one's overall browser based experience.

jon.stromer.galley
    • Marked as answer by GurunGuns Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:36 AM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:15 PM

All replies

• Partial/full trust execution (with Out-Of-Browser capabilities).

The need for a RIA.

Load balancing (utilization of client's cycles and Fx).

ASP (and aspx to a lesser extent) is constrained to the "get/post" "request document/submit document" functionality.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Abstraction.
    Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    • Unproposed as answer by GurunGuns Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:15 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Rich user interface without complex HTML/JS hacking to support multiple browsers
    -- Blog: http://geeklyeverafter.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:03 PM
  • aspx is meant for server side processing, xaml is mainly used for client side userinterface interaction. There's no "moving" since they are both different technologies addressing different problems.
    • Unproposed as answer by GurunGuns Monday, April 19, 2010 11:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by GurunGuns Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:39 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Hi Rudedog,

Can you put some more light on the Abstraction part as I think in both XAML & Aspx we have to write almost similar type of code ?

I can see lot of Abstraction between ASPX over HTML or XAML over HTML.

Thanks!! MCP
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Both are XML based mark up that help you define the look and feel of your application.  By both I mean XAML and the (x)HTML aspect of your ASPX.  XAML helps you declaratively define the UI of your Silverlight application, HTML for your web application.  Both Silverlight and ASP.Net support the separation of these markups from more formal application code.  As was previously stated, code in Silverlight acts on the client, while code in ASP.Net acts on the server.  There is a great deal of overlap from the user's perspective as both technologies are integrated into one's overall browser based experience.

jon.stromer.galley
    • Marked as answer by GurunGuns Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:36 AM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Hey....

The Major Differences when you compare the XAML - Silverlight and ASPx are

1. The Run Time :- The ASPX uses the ASP.Net Run Time which is loaded in the IIS, rather Silver Light Runtime is a portion of CLR. Which we can download dowload in to the Client Machine and perform operations.

2. The XAML supports Rich User Interface, which means no need of JS and others. We can use the Straight away .NET WPF Animation Functions.

3. It also supports the Out Of Browser Support. (We can use the Server Web Application as a Client Application). Its included in Silverlight 4.0

Also there are many more Advantages in the XAML.  Check on the Net for further info.

Hope this would throws some light on your question.

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
    Gopi V

If you have found this post helpful, please click the Vote as Helpful link (the green triangle and number on the top-left).

If this post answers your question, click the Mark As Answered link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.

• Marked as answer by GurunGuns Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:35 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:18 AM
  • I was going thru the web over XAML and after getting knowledge over the same, I come up with few statments over XAML and just want to get clearence over the same, if anyone can help:

1) " Using XAML the designer won’t have to do all that code parsing to figure out where to insert or change the setting of a property. "
    Do we need to do the code parsing if we design thru ASPX controls.

2) " XAML is a perfect way to provide desktop apps without installers i.e. software-as-a-service."
    How does this happen?

3) "XAML is to bridge the gap between developing an application for Microsoft Windows and developing an application for the Web."
    Can you elaborate this point that how it bridge the gap. Does it mean the same XAML code we can use in both Web or Window application?

Thanks!! MCP
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:47 AM
  • I knew you would do it if left alone..  Research and study up on it yourself.

1)  Abstraction at work.  XAML almost forces the to separate the business logic from the display logic.

2)  I believe this referring to using a web browser to access a remotely based application.

3)  Abstraction at work again.  Very similar, if not identical, XAML code can be used to create the user interface because the business logic is not included.  The Business logic can be in a separate file, which must be created separately for Web or Windows apps.

Rudy  =8^D

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Monday, April 19, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Why we don't need javascript code in XAML?, as JS basically used for the validation purpose and has no link with designing.
    Thanks!! MCP
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 7:41 AM
  • I was going thru the web over XAML and after getting knowledge over the same, I come up with few statments over XAML and just want to get clearence over the same, if anyone can help:

1) " Using XAML the designer won’t have to do all that code parsing to figure out where to insert or change the setting of a property. "
    Do we need to do the code parsing if we design thru ASPX controls.

2) " XAML is a perfect way to provide desktop apps without installers i.e. software-as-a-service."
    How does this happen?

3) "XAML is to bridge the gap between developing an application for Microsoft Windows and developing an application for the Web."
    Can you elaborate this point that how it bridge the gap. Does it mean the same XAML code we can use in both Web or Window application?

Thanks!! MCP

I'm also interested in creating "software-as-a-service" utilities as our IT department does not allow users to install any kinda applications. But I found that if the client machine is having .Net 3.0 or lower... then WPF and silverlight enabled applications does not works. Even XML refuses to work..... I'm using VS 2008 express edition so I'm able to do testing on my computer, but I'm not able to validate any of those applications on client computer.

I'm helpless as I can't change IT department's rules.... so I've not at all tried my hands on with XAML :(

I'm not perfect, neither are u. But who's here to compare anyway, let's cherish the togetherness.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:40 AM