none
small basic dose not start RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded small basic and i went to run it for the first time and i got a error that says "Small Basic has encounterd a problem and needs to close " and it asks me to debug or send error report iv tried to install it several times and says the same thing i have windows xp pro sp3 and i have visual studio 2010. what can i do to fix this i like the small basic IDE and have the .NETframwork 3.5 
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:42 PM

Answers

• You need .Net 3.5 SP1 (service pack 1).

To re-install, do an uninstall from Programs and Settings and also delete the installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic) before trying a re-install.  Try reinstalling with a user that has admin privilidges.

If you do this and it still doen't work, you can test the SmallBasic dll is working with .Net by writing a simple C# VS2010 console project targetting .Net 3.5 (Solution Explorer->Properties->Application->Target framework->.NET Framework 3.5), you can even add a reference to SmallBasicLibrary.dll (Project->Add Reference->Browse->C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Small Basic\SmallBasicLibrary.dll) and see if you can use this dll from VS.  Note VS2010 uses .Net 4 by default.

For example:

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using Microsoft.SmallBasic.Library;

namespace TestSmallBasicLibrary
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                GraphicsWindow.BackgroundColor = "Red";
            }
        }
    }

Simple test C# VS2010 project uploaded here .

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:44 PM