Event Log - Event ID 3078 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an event id 3078 in my event log on my portal server. It reads:

"The search service stopped the filter daemon because it was consuming too
    many resources. A new daemon will automatically be started, and no user
    action is required."

What exactly does this event mean? Should I be concerned about this event?

Thanks
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:42 PM

Answers

• I decided to log the resolution to this error in case someone else comes across it. Here is what I came up with:

SharePoint Portal Server has a limit to the amount of text data that it can filter from

a single document. This limit applies only to the text in the document. It does not

apply to graphics or any other type of content. By default, the limit is 64 KB of text

in a single document. If a document has more text than the limit, SharePoint Portal

Server stops the indexing process, considers the document indexed, and moves on

to the next document.

The resolution is:

SharePoint Portal Server has a registry value that limits the maximum file size that

it will crawl. The registry value is called Max Download Size and is located in the

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/SPS Search/Gathering Manager key. By default, the entry

for this registry value is set at 16 MB. SharePoint Portal Server also has a registry entry

that defines how many times larger the file can be than the text. This registry value is

contained in the HKLM/Software/Microsoft/SPS Search/Gathering Manager/Max Grow

Factor key. By default, this value is set at four. This means that the text in a file can be

only up to four times larger than the file size.

If anyone has anymore info please feel free to reply.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:45 PM

All replies

• I decided to log the resolution to this error in case someone else comes across it. Here is what I came up with:

SharePoint Portal Server has a limit to the amount of text data that it can filter from

a single document. This limit applies only to the text in the document. It does not

apply to graphics or any other type of content. By default, the limit is 64 KB of text

in a single document. If a document has more text than the limit, SharePoint Portal

Server stops the indexing process, considers the document indexed, and moves on

to the next document.

The resolution is:

SharePoint Portal Server has a registry value that limits the maximum file size that

it will crawl. The registry value is called Max Download Size and is located in the

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/SPS Search/Gathering Manager key. By default, the entry

for this registry value is set at 16 MB. SharePoint Portal Server also has a registry entry

that defines how many times larger the file can be than the text. This registry value is

contained in the HKLM/Software/Microsoft/SPS Search/Gathering Manager/Max Grow

Factor key. By default, this value is set at four. This means that the text in a file can be

only up to four times larger than the file size.

If anyone has anymore info please feel free to reply.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Hi There,

So have we been able to find a solution to this error, we have found the same errors appearing today as well...

If anyone has any information on how to resolve, would be fantastic...

Thank you

Monday, July 23, 2007 12:24 AM