Server Specifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Am putting together a specification for an IT upgrade for the organisation I work for, the last upgrade of this kind was in 2007.  While not my area of expertise I need to specify some server hardware specifications.  In the last upgrade in 2007 the following specifications were put together and I will to know if thse are still relevant of what they should be respecified to.  Currently organisation runs Server 2003, Office and Exchange 2003.  Plan is to move to Sever 2008, Exchange and Office 2010 and Windows 7.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

General Server Specifications

Tier 1 Server Class Hardware (e.g IBM or HP Prefererred
    Rackmount Chassis Rails and Cable Management
    5 Year Warranty with 9x5 4Hr Onsite Coverage
    Hot-Plug Redundant Power Supplies and Fans
    Hot-Plug 15K-RPM SCSI Drives of 10K-RPM SAS Drivers
    Preference - Standardised Drive Technology for all Servers
    Hardware RAID Controller with Write Back Cache
    Windows Server 2008 Hardware Compliance/Certified
    Intel Xeon EM64T Based Processor with 2Mb L2 Cache

File Server

Single CPU 302 GhZ (Dual CPU Capable), 2GB RAM (12GB Capable), RAID Controller with 128Mb Write-bak cache Minimum, 500GB Useabke Storage with RAID5, PCI Express Slots Available, DVD-ROM and floppy, USB Ports, Out of Band Remote Management Port, Dual Gigabit Ethernet Ports, SCSI Port for External SDLT320 Drive, SNMP Manageable via Server Tools provided

Mail Server

Single CPU 3.2 Ghz (Dual CPU Capable), 2Gb RAM (12Gb Capable), Raid Controller with 128Mb Write-back cache minimum, 200GB Useable Storage with RAID5, Out of Band Remote Management Port, Dual Gigabit Ethernet Ports, SNMP Manageable with Server Tools provided.

Citrix Server

Dual CPU 3.2 Ghx, 3Gb RAM (12Gb Capable), Raid1 Controller with 128Mb Write Back Cache Minimum, 36GB Useable Storage with RAID1, Out ogf Band Remote Management Port, Dual Gigabit Ethernet Ports, SNMP

Gateway Server

Single CPI 3.2Ghz, 1Gb RAM (12Gb Capable), RAID1 Controller with 12*MB Write-back Cache Minimum, 36GB Useable Storage with RAID1, Out of Band Remote Management Port, Dual Gigabit Ethernet Ports, SNMP

Monday, February 21, 2011 11:52 PM