Working mode SqlServer RRS feed

• Question

• hello
    maintains sqlserver database in RAM, and will synchronize with disc; oracle as does every 10 seconds and 1 second approximately
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:25 AM

Answers

• looks to me like you are asking about how data in RAM synched with data on drive... in sql server, we have "check point". Check point commits the dirty data in ram to disk. you can configure how often this can happen but highly advised to leave this for sql server.  Read this for more info http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191154.aspx

Lazy Writer also takes care of this but only in a way to keep some free space in buffer pool and if there's is a dirty page, it will write it to the disk.

unless you are talking in-memory database, sql server will only read the data it wants into the memory from the disk. of course, it will do some read-ahead's but mostly will get data as it wants.

Hope it Helps!!

• Edited by Stan210Editor Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:15 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:54 AM
    Answerer
  • hello
    maintains sqlserver database in RAM, and will synchronize with disc; oracle as does every 10 seconds and 1 second approximately
    Posting a random question from anywhere without making it clear will not help you in getting correct answer.I would appreciate if you could provide more details or rephrase your question such that it gives meaning full look otherwise people will keep guessing and keep posting.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Edited by Shanky_621MVP Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Friday, November 29, 2013 8:19 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:03 AM

All replies

• I can not understand your question. Can you please explain more ?

Regards, RSingh

Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:31 AM
  • looks to me like you are asking about how data in RAM synched with data on drive... in sql server, we have "check point". Check point commits the dirty data in ram to disk. you can configure how often this can happen but highly advised to leave this for sql server.  Read this for more info http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191154.aspx

Lazy Writer also takes care of this but only in a way to keep some free space in buffer pool and if there's is a dirty page, it will write it to the disk.

unless you are talking in-memory database, sql server will only read the data it wants into the memory from the disk. of course, it will do some read-ahead's but mostly will get data as it wants.

Hope it Helps!!

• Edited by Stan210Editor Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:00 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:54 AM
    Answerer
  • hello
    Posting a random question from anywhere without making it clear will not help you in getting correct answer.I would appreciate if you could provide more details or rephrase your question such that it gives meaning full look otherwise people will keep guessing and keep posting.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Edited by Shanky_621MVP Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Friday, November 29, 2013 8:19 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:03 AM