Reusing Blend Features in Applications RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all,

I decided openning this discussion regarding a project enquiry we received this week.

We develop WPF/C# based-solutions for industrila machine controlling, robotics and automation.

One of our costumers is developing a special machine. This machine will insert some small gems (Rhinestone actually) in t-shirts, pants, etc.

Our application must provide a way for the user to inser lines, arcs, rectangles, etc in a workspace and then define the types of stones used (color, size, etc).

I was wondering how could I re-use this Shapes editting features in my application to avoid having to develop them from scratch. Lets suppose I had someway to reuse the features available in Blend. It is like reusing a subset of the GUI Editor present in Blend, Visual Studio, etc.

I know Autodesk provies some libraries for using its objects and they also provide an OEM solution for special necessites, but I don't know exactly if this is waht I need, since the objects are not very complex in this moment. The issue here is to graphical user interface editor.

I know also there are some free editor around here, like GIMP that might do the job, but I was thinking about using a more .NET approach.

I would like to hear form you what do you think and what do you recommend...

Kindly Regards,

Igor Kondrasovas
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:49 PM

All replies

• Howdy Igor,

You can not currently take any of the Blend UI and use it in your own applications, though from what you are saying, it shouldnt be a big job to get the basic functionality together in your own custom application.

Cheers

Expression MVP

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:14 PM
  • Hello Brennon,

I was reading somewhere that Expression Blend accepts Add-Ins or Plug-Ins. I don't know how this work. Do you have any information about that?

Regards,

Igor

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Howdy,

In Blend 2, the System.AddIn namespace is visible but there was no "official" documentation around its usage. Blend3 is much the same as far as I know, but if you are a specific control vendor etc, I can put you in contact with some people that could help you understand that story clearer.

Please let me know.

Cheers
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Hello,

Specifically for my current necessity, I think that developing an add-in is not the best choice, since the drawing is only a part of the process and the most important one is the machine control and automation. This requires a controlled and specific user enviroment. Don't think a plug in is adequate.

In fact, I think WPF really has great advantages if I have to program all the UI to provide the user tools like lines, arcs, etc...

Well, I was just making sure I wouldn't be "re-inventing the wheel".

Thanks fo your assistance,

Regards,

Igor
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:51 PM