SCCM "ConfigMgr Report Administrators" SSRS role cannot be modified RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I see a SSRS role called "ConfigMgr Report Administrators" created by the SCCM deployment. It has the equivalent privileges/tasks as "Content Manager" role. While connecting to the reporting services using SSMS, I tried to remove some of the tasks from this role, but the removed tasks were always added back later automatically.  Does anyone know what's going on?  Thanks. Ed

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi edsun,

You need to modify the Report Administrators role in SCCM, not SSMS. First, we need to create a SCCM Report Administrator role. Then assign the security role to an administrative user.

The next step is to give access to this user on the SSRS Website. SCCM overwrites permission modification by using the role-based assignments stored in the site database. It’s not possible just to add your user with the Config Report Administrators role because it will be reset in 10 minutes. 

For detailed information, you could refer to CREATE SCCM REPORT ADMINISTRATOR ROLE

Best Regards,
    Henry 

Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Thanks Henry. Great insight. I found that there're many users(their AD accounts) with the Report Administrators role grants at my SSRS home folder level. As these users already have the same grants on the SCCM folder (/ConfigMgr_POS, which has un-inherited permissions from home), I tried to remove them from the home folder, but I cannot - they're added back shortly after. How can I remove the SCCM user grants at home folder?  Maybe I should push the SCCM reports to a secondary folder, such as /Home4SCCM/ConfigMgr_POS. Can I specify the folder structure (as Folder name) as such in Specify Reporting Services settings(in Add Site System Roles)?   Thanks again. Ed.
    Thursday, August 3, 2017 11:07 PM
  • Hi edsun,

For user has the sufficient permission to view the SSRS report in Report Manager, they should have two types of permissions in the report manager, system level and item level. We can go to "Site Settings" >> "Security" to add or remove the system level permission. 

If you want to remove the home folder permission, you could try to remove the permission from SCCM. 

Reference: Configuring Reporting in Configuration Manager

Best Regards,

Henry 

• Proposed as answer by Henry Jiang Friday, August 18, 2017 2:19 AM
    Friday, August 4, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Henry, we now want our SCCM publish its reports to a named instance of SSRS 2016.  Our SCCM version is 2012 R2 SP1.  Is it possible (the sccm prerequisite link below doesn't have SQL Server 2016 list, but it's two year old)?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh338695.aspx

Thanks. Ed.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:05 PM
  • More precisely, our SCCM version number is 1606. Ed
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:57 PM
  • Hi edsun,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is supported for SSRS 2016. 

For detailed information, you could refer to the section "Supported SQL Server versions for the Reporting Services Point" in the latest released version Prerequisites for reporting in System Center Configuration Manager. 

Other references: Introduction to reporting in System Center Configuration Manager
    Planning for reporting in System Center Configuration Manager

Best Regards,
    Henry 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 25, 2017 9:38 AM