XAML Device Panel & VisualStateManager

Question

• Using VS2013 and W8.1, I've set up the VisualStateManager to swap layouts when I change the orientation from landscape to portrait. Runs fine in the simulator and on the local machine, but for the life of me I can't get the settings in the Device Panel to swap the views.

Am I doing something dumb? If so, does anybody know what?

Rebecca M. Riordan

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:44 PM

All replies

• The Device Panel doesn't tie in to visual states for Windows 8.1 apps. You can use the States panel to switch between and edit Visual States.

Windows 8.1 removed the strict ApplicationViewStates that Windows 8 apps used. For Windows 8.1 apps the layouts are more flexible and app defined. The device panel no longer has well defined states to switch between.

--Rob

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:44 PM
    Owner
  • The Device Panel doesn't tie in to visual states for Windows 8.1 apps. You can use the States panel to switch between and edit Visual States.

Windows 8.1 removed the strict ApplicationViewStates that Windows 8 apps used. For Windows 8.1 apps the layouts are more flexible and app defined. The device panel no longer has well defined states to switch between.

--Rob

Um, okay....I get that there aren't standard stares anymore, but if the device panel doesn't trigger any layout events, what are the little 'edge' avatars for?  

Rebecca M. Riordan

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:49 PM
  • The edge buttons let you set the size and position of the window within the virtual display. You can use that along with the States pane to edit the app for different layouts.

--Rob

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:58 PM
    Owner
  • The edge buttons let you set the size and position of the window within the virtual display. You can use that along with the States pane to edit the app for different layouts.

--Rob

Well, now we'll find out just now dumb I actually am :). I can't find the States pane in VS. In Blend, sure, but Blend also has State recording (which, for the record, I really miss in 2013), which makes the workflow a whole different animal.

Will someone confirm for the old woman that the States pane is a Blend-only thing?

Rebecca M. Riordan

Friday, January 24, 2014 2:27 PM