Database Connection to local SQL DB Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if there is  a way to create a database connection to SQL Server DB which is running on my pc using SharePoint Designer 2010. I can create a connection to the SharePoint 2010 DB server but not to my local DB server. Is this a firewall issue? Can some one point me in the right direction or provide me some instructions on how to set up this connection?

Thanks in advance!!

Friday, February 8, 2019 3:27 PM

Answers

• Hi

It may be firewall issue, or network issue.

Please make sure your PC can be reached in your network.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

• Marked as answer by rbsp2k2 Monday, February 25, 2019 9:23 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hi

Please make sure if your designer account have permission in your local DB.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    Linyu - SharePoint Engineer
    QQ Group: 72637444

Monday, February 11, 2019 8:01 AM
  • Hi rbsp2k2, 

What error message are you getting when you create a database connection to SQL Server DB which is running on your pc? 

Windows authentication users are not supported to connect to SQL Server databases in SharePoint Designer, make sure that SQL Server authentication is enabled on that server.

Please make sure that the account has permission to access SQL Server databases.

Add a database as a data source for your reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-a-database-as-a-data-source-3a563b0c-75e4-4856-847f-9a8182708c66

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, February 11, 2019 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi

It may be firewall issue, or network issue.

Please make sure your PC can be reached in your network.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Monday, February 11, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hi

Please make sure if your designer account have permission in your local DB.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    Linyu - SharePoint Engineer
    QQ Group: 72637444

Monday, February 11, 2019 8:01 AM
  • Hi rbsp2k2, 

What error message are you getting when you create a database connection to SQL Server DB which is running on your pc? 

Windows authentication users are not supported to connect to SQL Server databases in SharePoint Designer, make sure that SQL Server authentication is enabled on that server.

Please make sure that the account has permission to access SQL Server databases.

Add a database as a data source for your reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-a-database-as-a-data-source-3a563b0c-75e4-4856-847f-9a8182708c66

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, February 11, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Hi rbsp2k2, 

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer, it will be beneficial to others in the community who meet this similar issue in the future. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Monday, February 18, 2019 9:26 AM