Merge fails because of pending changes but no changes are pending. RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to do a merge and I get the following error

---------------------------

Microsoft Visual Studio

Source Control Merge Wizard

Merge encountered 0 error(s) and 10 warning(s).

First error/warning encountered:

TF14083: The item '$/XXXXXX' has a pending merge from the current merge operation, please resolve and check in the current merge and merge again to pick up this change.

See output tool window for information on any other errors.

OK   Help  

This is after did a merge of All available Changesets and realized that I wanted to merge selected changesets so I did an "Undo Pending Changes" for the merge.  At this point no matter what I do I always get this error:

1) There are no pending changes in the workspace

2) I have done a clean Get Latest on the merge target.

3) I have created a brand new workspace, different from the one the merge was undone in, done a Get Latest on the merge target and I still get the above error.

Any ideas on why TFS might think I still have pending changes for the merge?  Oh this is the 1.0 Release.

-mark 

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 9:24 PM

Answers

• These are just warnings.  You'll get them whenever you have more than one merge candidate with the same target path.  If you follow the instructions (resolve, checkin, merge again) do you end up with the desired result?
    Friday, August 11, 2006 9:32 PM

All replies

• These are just warnings.  You'll get them whenever you have more than one merge candidate with the same target path.  If you follow the instructions (resolve, checkin, merge again) do you end up with the desired result?
    Friday, August 11, 2006 9:32 PM
  • We are having similar error (also described here: http://blogs.infosupport.com/martijnb/archive/2006/04/05/TFS-error-while-merging-_2800_TF14083_2900_.aspx), but in our case we get errors (instead of warnings) it is not working eventhough we do a full get on the source and the target before the merge.

There are not pending changes from previous merges in the target.

Any ideas?

Here's the command we run:

C:\Workspaces\MyWorkspace>tf merge $/A/Source/databases $/B/Source/databases /recursive

Here's part of the error message:

---- Summary: 0 conflicts, 0 warnings, 12 errors ----
    TF14083: The item '$/B/Source/Databases/jobs' has a pending
    merge from the current merge operation, please resolve and check in the current
    merge and merge again to pick up this change.
    TF14083: The item '$/B/Source/Databases/sp' has a pending
    merge from the current merge operation, please resolve and check in the current
    merge and merge again to pick up this change.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 5:12 PM
  • Is anything pended?  If you follow the instructions does it work as expected?
    Tuesday, November 14, 2006 7:36 PM
  • Is anything pended?  If you follow the instructions does it work as expected?

I just ran into this for the first time.  There are pending changes, but not on any of the files involved in the merge in either the source or target branch.  Each file that should have been merged is listed twice in the output - presumably corresponding to the fact that there are two potential merge targets for the source. 

TFS2005.

Follow-up:  Some of the files were not current on disk in another branch that was uninvolved in the merge.  Doing a get-latest on that branch allowed the merge to succeed.  Wierd.

-cd [VC++ MVP] Mark the best replies as answers!
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:10 PM