none
Kinect 2.0 Sensor - Not working after the Windows 10 update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I RECENTLY bought the Kinect V2 for windows sensor. As as well the Xbox sensor. We bought this for my son's science fair project.

I could not get the sensor to work in Microsoft Surface Book. Then I read the blogs and saw the USB 3.0 Compatibility issues.

Therefore, I bought a Lenovo with USB 3.0 SS (Certified)

INTEL Celeron CPU N3350 @1.1GHz

Installed RAM 2GB
    64-bit (x64) processor
    Window 10Home version 17

I ran the Kinect Configuration Verifier and Studio and it was able to detect the Kinect Sensor. It also shows up in the Device Manager. However it is given an Exclamation sign by the USB Controller and Verify Kinect Depth and Color Stream are Crossed in RED. All the lights in the Kinect sensor shows up

After that TWO Window 10 Update got installed.

• Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based system (KB4033631)
    • 2017-11 cumulative update for Windows 10 version for x64-based system (KB4048954)

I did not restart: The Kinect Configuration Verifier and Device Manager indicated that Kinect was connected. However no lights came in

When I rebooted the computer The Kinect  Version 1703 for 64-based system it said Unrecongnized USB

Monday, December 11, 2017 3:52 AM

All replies

• Did you try to reinstall it?
    Monday, December 11, 2017 9:29 AM
  • What reinstall do you mean? I tried to reinstall Kinect for Windows Runtime, SDK, I even went back to the factory reset option before Windows 10 version 1703 was installed. I checked the other blog and it seems like the issue started in March 2017 after Windows 10 Update v1607 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/kinect-v2-does-not-work-with-surface-book-with/fb4b3f74-e494-46f2-8144-23f2ec88a844

Monday, December 11, 2017 4:49 PM
  • I have the latest Windows build at both my desktop machine at work and my lenovo laptop at home. Both work.

Not sure if this is some MS Surface Book related issue.

Even if it is though, usually Factory Reset goes to a much earlier build. What build did you revert to?

Have you checked whether the sensors work on other machines at all?

Lastly, I just noticed, you said "Installed RAM 2GB". I imagine you mean, the laptop had something like 4 GB and you installed an additional 2. Is that correct?

Monday, December 11, 2017 5:04 PM
  • So you have Kinect V2 working in your desktop as well as lenovo machines? Are you running Windows 10. Version 1703?
    Monday, December 11, 2017 6:05 PM
  • As I said I have Microsoft Surface Book. However, Kinect DOES NOT work there. It gives the USB unrecognized error as you saw in the block I sent. That is why I bought the NEW LENOVO laptop with the SS USB 3 port on Saturday. I again let the update for Window 10 complete.<o:p></o:p>

Edition: Windows 10 Home<o:p></o:p>

Version: 1703<o:p></o:p>

OS Build 15063.726<o:p></o:p>

Installed RAM-2GB (I saw a min requirement of 2GB. Now I see on another website the requirement is 4GB)<o:p></o:p>

BTW: I ran the Kinect v2 Configuration Verifier. All the LIGHTS on the Kinect Sensor comes on and Config shows everything ticket marked in GREEN. However, the only two items are not green. One is a yellow ! for the USB Controller and another in Red cross mark<o:p></o:p>

Thanks<o:p></o:p>

Arindam
    Monday, December 11, 2017 6:06 PM
  • Is it possible for me to talk to you?
    Monday, December 11, 2017 6:06 PM
  • BTW: Last night I did a clean installation with the new laptop.  i.e. disk formatting followed by installation. After that the Windows 10 update was does. After this it seems to be working. However as I said before When I run the Kinect v2 Configuration verifier I get the Exclamation sign by the USB Controller and Verify Kinect Depth and Color Stream are Crossed in RED.

Can you please suggest if you get the same?

Monday, December 11, 2017 7:39 PM
  • Yeah I have v 1703 and build 15063 in both machines.

Recommended specs are here. 4GB Ram is recommended.

The USB Controller is almost never green in verifier. I've seen a Renesas chip get yellow mark. The important one is the Verify Kinect Depth and Color Stream. This should get a green at all times. If it throws yellows every so often(which usually corresponds with drops in FPS) then something is probably wrong with the configuration,e.g. the GPU might not be strong enough to do all its work without bleeding into other frames(causing the frame drop).

Btw what kind of gpu do the two laptops use?

Monday, December 11, 2017 11:17 PM
  • Thank you so much for your quick response. Really appreciate.

My Microsoft Surface Book has

• Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GPU and
    • Disk Drive: NVMe THNSN5512GPU7 TO. I am assuming this is a SSD. One of my friends recommends a SSD otherwise there will be large drop in frame rate

However, I cannot get the MS Surface Book to work with Kinect. USB cannot be recognized 

My new Lenovo that I got on Saturday and the one that seems to be working (Verify Kinect Depth and Color Stream is RED crossed) 

• Display Adapter: Interl(R) HD Graphics
    • Disk Drive: ScanDisk DF4032

Guess I need to return the new Lenovo and buy a better one that will work. I will be using this for my son's science fair project related to Head Kinect Animation Units, head pose, speed of head motion plus Facial Animation Unit using a neural network algorithm. 

Any suggestions what laptop to buy?

It has to have a SS USB 3.0 certified

Arindam

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:01 AM
  • The SSD shouldn't make a difference unless you're streaming from a recording in the disk. It will though in overall speed of the rest of the system so it can't hurt.

Not sure which laptop to suggest but *in case* the application is destined to have a lot of people inside the Kinect field of view, then you'd better get a good discrete gpu with over 700 shader units(CUDA cores) and at the very least 128bit memory bandwidth. Disclaimer: This is totally empirical on my part and mostly based on the regular module. I haven't used the Face module but as far as I can see from the samples, it needs the Body frame anyway in order to associate the Face with a Body and be able to distinguish between multiple users. So my suggestion still seems valid.

As far as the USB3 goes, try to look for Renesas chips.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:27 PM