Windows Server Licensing RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    We have 60 nodes licensed Windows 7 Prof. We want to procure Windows Server 2012 std for domain controller to connect all the users to the server.

    For this we are planning to purchase Windows Server 2012. 

    Now My question is that is CAL required for this or not ? If yes, how much CAL we need ?



    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:35 AM

All replies

  • My understanding is that, if you have the licenses for the W7 Pro, that is all the CALs you should need (for OS use); you just have to purchase the 2012 Std license. Now, if you also have MS-Office then, if you've already purchased licenses for those, then you should be good as well.

    If not, I think Microsoft allows you to purchase "Enterprise CALs" where, basically, you are paying a fee to be able to install/use MS Office on your w7 pro workstations.

    Your Microsoft Salesperson will give you all the details but above is basically my understanding.

    Hope it helps.

    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:15 PM
  • The licensing requirements are a little more complicated....Client Access Licenses (CALs) are required for every user or device accessing a server. Here is the data sheet for MS Server 2012 R2


    Mark D. Albin, M.S. IT Master Services www.itmasterservice.com Office: (775) 229-4254

    • Edited by Mark D Albin Friday, November 1, 2013 8:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mark D Albin Friday, November 1, 2013 8:29 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 8:28 PM