none
Mail merge with csv list in Word - Crashes everytime (with Custom AddIn) RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed custom VSTO AddIn that runs both on Outlook and Word. I am trying to perform Mail Merge with csv email list in the word document. Mail merge works fine when my AddIn is disabled in Outlook and enabled in word document.

With AddIn enabled in Outlook, import email addresses from csv file and send email messages in HTML format is causing word to crash. Sending email messages in plain text format is working fine. Exception is not thrown in AddIn application. Event viewer is the only log that is captured.

Faulting app

Error log:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 14.0.6129.5000, time stamp: 0x5082f354
    Faulting module name: wwlib.dll, version: 14.0.6129.5000, time stamp: 0x5082f3dc
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000d71f6
    Faulting process id: 0x32e4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3209636ac594a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\wwlib.dll
    Report Id: 98f7aa30-8c89-11e7-aa2e-005056b904c5

I am unable to find the root cause of the issue. Please help me on this issue.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi VSTO Rookie,

first I don't have exact idea what and how you are doing. because you did not posted the code.

do you mean you are not using the Visual Studio to create an add in? and you are running same add in in Outlook and Word?

I think that may be this can cause an issue. because you are using the same code for both application and maybe both application works little bit different.

or maybe because both application using same add in at the same time cause this issue.

if you are working the Add in in two different application then I suggest you to develop a two individual add in for both application.

so that if both addin are active in both application at the same time then also it not affect the functionality of addin in other application and both can work correctly.

from the above posted error it is hard to get any idea regarding your issue.

or at run time you can try to set the format of mail to plain text forcefully may solve your issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:47 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

Same AddIn runs in Outlook and Word but internally it is coded differently so there is no conflict. One more thing to note here is, word is crashing even without activating the AddIn - meaning, AddIn tab is not selected.

Steps:

1. Open the word document and get on with mail merging.

2. Import email addresses from csv file and send email.

Word crashes after a few seconds. It may deliver to one email address or some times it won't deliver to anyone.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:08 AM
  • Hi VSTO Rookie,

do you mean we can reproduce the issue with the Word Interface even if your addin is not installed on the Outlook and Word?lf yes, let me know about that.

if we can reproduce the issue with the user interface then it is also possible that there is some bug in MS Word.

for that I suggest you to make a test with multiple version of Office with or without add in installed.

so that we can come to know that whether the issue cause by Word it self or by the add in.

you can also let us inform which exact version of MS Word you are using. so that we can also try to make a test on our side.

if with the user interface we can reproduce it then I will try to move your question to other suitable forum which handles only interface related issues.

also we can try to submit the feedback to word user voice regarding this issue.

also let me know whether you got any error when Word get crashed.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:20 AM