none
Deploying .NET 4.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to post this, but here goes:

I'm wondering if there is an 'official' or 'correct' way to install the .NET framework?  I would like to target the .NET 4.5 framework in my applications because of the various language enhancements that it contains.  However, despite the fact that .NET 4.5 has been released for about a year, some of the IT/security folks in my company are of the opinion that .NET 4.5 isn't really officially released by Microsoft until it becomes available via System Center or Windows Update.  Consequently, they don't want to deploy it to user machines until it becomes available in this manner.

I can certainly understand their desire to not have to build their own SCCM package, but I'm wondering if their thinking is correct.  Aside from not having to build an SCCM package, is there any reason NOT to deploy .NET 4.5 until its made available via System Center?  If so, when might this framework update actually be made available through something other than direct download from Microsoft? 

I guess I'm trying to do a quick sanity check.  I can't possibly be the only developer targeting .NET 4.5.  Yet within my company, it's as if I'm 'going rogue' by even suggesting it.  Is there a 'correct' way to do it?  How do others approach this?

JohnnyG

Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:28 PM

All replies

• "some of the IT/security folks in my company are of the opinion that .NET 4.5 isn't really officially released by Microsoft until it becomes available via System Center or Windows Update"

Really? The fact that it comes embedded in Windows 8 is not "official" enough?

There is a limited potential audience for .NET 4.5, because it requires Windows 7 SP1 or newer. Are all the potential systems for your software running Win 7, 8 or a server equivalent?

If you need 4.5, consider making it a prerequisite in your installer package.

Monday, August 12, 2013 2:56 PM
  • No, apparently not.  I don't understand the logic, but that's what I'm being told.

I'd need to double-check, but I'm pretty sure everyone is running Windows 7 SP1.  I know everyone is using Windows 7 at the very least.

I'm not sure the prerequisite approach will work in this case.  Forcing the download of 4.5 from Microsoft is not okay.  I'd catch some serious flack for that.  At this point, I'm about ready to just give up for now.  (You have to choose your battles...)  I don't technically 'need' 4.5, but the language enhancements - especially the async/await improvements would be especially useful.  Right now, I have to do it the hard way.

So do most people just use the prerequisite approach or just download the installer and create their own SCCM package?  I'm curious.  I'd like to know if there's a best practice so I can at least speak intelligently about this if I decide to broach this issue one more time.

JohnnyG

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:10 PM
  • "So do most people just use the prerequisite approach"

For software released to the public, yes. Microsoft products like Visual Studio and Office are examples of this. The installer checks for the needed .NET Framework version, and if not found, installs it.

You are in a different situation, where your audience (and you) must adhere to corporate policy, so staying with 4.0 for now may be your best bet.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:38 PM