none
When an arabic version will be added to the Bing Maps localisation languages ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Ricky,

Please do you have any arabic version for the labels related to countries, cities, etc. foreseen in the next future ? Such possibility is available with Google Maps since a while...

And if yes, any planned release date or period ?

Thanks in advance for your appreciated attention and response,

Germain

Monday, November 14, 2016 6:58 PM

Answers

• The base maps have supported Arabic for years. Many Arabic companies use Bing Maps. The only thing not supported in Arabic is the navigation controls (i.e. the map type drop down). Geocoding and routing have supported Arabic for near 8 years now.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, November 14, 2016 7:08 PM

All replies

• The base maps have supported Arabic for years. Many Arabic companies use Bing Maps. The only thing not supported in Arabic is the navigation controls (i.e. the map type drop down). Geocoding and routing have supported Arabic for near 8 years now.

Monday, November 14, 2016 7:08 PM
  • So does it mean that I may display the labels on a European centered map in Arabic using the mkt= parameter ?

• Edited by VEHICALL Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:39 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 7:14 PM
  • The mkt parameter isn't supported in Bing Maps V8. There are new parameters for Bing Maps V8 coming soon, but are not yet documented as there are some bugs we need to work out first. That said, if an Arabic user loading a webpage that had Bing Maps V8 on it, the map would automatically display in Arabic.

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Monday, November 14, 2016 8:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by VEHICALL Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by VEHICALL Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:57 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 8:29 PM
  • Great ! Actually I'm using the mkt= parameters to allow the free selection of any available localisation language, independantly of the user interface language...

Thank you for your confirmation and please let us know asap when this facility is integrated in the experimental branch !

Have a nice day,

Germain

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:55 AM
  • Hi again,

Last month, the mkt parameter was still operating properly, at least in an unsupported way, to override the detected setting language by another one programmatically...

But now it is no more the case !!!

Does it means that it was deprecated BEFORE any officially and supported available solution, despite the Microsoft's promises ?

This situation is very bad for the travelling user experience...

Please Ricky help us to find RAPIDLY a valid and supported solution to fix this true nightmare !

All people aren't speaking only in English worldwide..

Thanks in advance for your efficient and appreciated support in that matter,

Germain

Saturday, May 6, 2017 5:07 PM
  • You can use setMkt and setLang. these were documented a month or two ago: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/mt712553.aspx mkt was never officially supported with V8. stLang and setMkt are used by all other Bing APi's, so this now aligns V8 with these other API's.

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Monday, May 8, 2017 3:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Monday, May 8, 2017 3:53 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by VEHICALL Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by VEHICALL Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:57 PM
    Monday, May 8, 2017 3:52 PM
  • Great, you made my days !

Is it a way to display in each country, maybe using a specific value parameter or trick, the labels in the main local language: for example when Europe is shown, to get Torino along Italia and München along Deutschland ? 

Last question about this subject: please where may I find the complete list of the values supported by both parameters ?

• Edited by VEHICALL Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:04 AM
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:11 AM
  • 1) There is no option to localize a single map view such that each country is in its local language. It's an interesting idea, but not sure on the demand for this. First time I've had anyone ask for this. Will add it to a list of ideas to look into. 

2) This hasn't been published yet as it is still be compiled/tested. It is a rather long list and often works partially in most languages (i.e. maps labels will change, but the nav bar may not). 

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by VEHICALL Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Thank you Ricky for all those details !

Right now I will use this list: Language parameters...

But I don't know if they are the final values under test, are they ? 

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:22 PM