Where is the SSMS Community menu item? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, all -

We recently upgraded to SSMS 2014 after years of being on 2008R2.

All well and good, but two problems have reared their ugly heads.

1. My old link to the Transact SQL Reference is, apparently, outdated. In fact, it has been outdated sine SSMS 2005, but was adequate for my needs. For most things, it still is, but I've read of a few new commands in T-SQL that sounded quite useful. Thing is, I can't seem to get a 2014 version of the T-SQL reference. Is there one? Or, do I have to spend bucks on some boat-anchor book?

2. This didn't happen until I tried to contact this community for assistance. I discovered that the "Community" menu item on the SSMS 2008R2 toolbar has disappeared in 2014. I tried to customize the toolbar to find the command and put it on the bar, but can't find it in the list of available commands. I made a work-around - obviously - by loading up SSMS 2008R2 and grabbing the link from the "Community" menu item there and making a short cut direct to it. The question is, am I able to place the "Community" menu item back on the toolbar in 2014?

2a. Something I've noticed recently is that when I start typing in the body of a question or response to this forum, as soon as I hit "Enter" to start a new line, I get a script error pop-up. Now, if I enter this forum via my new short-cut, there's no problem; only if I use the "Community" menu item. Why would that be? I'm guessing that I'll have to use the short cut from now on; maybe the Community button has not been supported in newer versions of SSMS and something happened to it when launched from the server directly, I dunno.

The last two aren't biggies as I have an acceptable workaround, but I'm still curious what may have happened. However, the first is fairly important as I used the reference quite often to look up command syntax and options regularly. It'd be a pain not to have the same ability with SSMS 2014, but maybe MS is pushing to buy a book, rather than use a free service.

Thanx, all!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:45 PM

Answers

• I cannot say what happened with the Community menu item, as I have never used it, nor understood the point with it.

However, I think I add some things on SSMS and Books Online.

First, uninstall SSMS 2014 and get hold of the latest version of SSMS from this link:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

SSMS has now been decoupled from SQL Server release, and ships separately with monthly updates. It is currently referred to as SSMS 2016, but it is not really the correct name - it's only SSMS.

SSMS 2008 built on the shell for Visual Studio 2005.
    SSMS 2012/2014 built on the shell for VS 2010.
    SSMS (2016) builds on the shell for VS 2015.

Whether that is a good thing or not can be disputed, but personally I think that Microsoft has made some improvement with the latest version of SSMS.

Once you have SSMS 2016, you can get the documentation for the T-SQL Reference. Microsoft has messed it up a little bit, but Tibor Karaszi has the details in this blog post:
    http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi/archive/2016/06/30/books-online-for-sql-server-2016.aspx

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Well, the point with it is that it gives access to this forum. Without it, I'd've never known it existed and might still be fumbling about trying to write code for my first job assignment.

You mean that you would never had gotten the idea to try Google? You would have found this place (or some other forum) pretty quick.

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me. I do not have sufficient rights on my box to uninstall or install software.

Oh, the joys of corporate IT!

There is a documentation entry in the SQL Server program groups where you can download the documentation (but it may require permissions on the box you don't have). Unfortunately, that is Help Viewer 1.1 which is awful.

Are you bestowed with Visual Studio on your machine? Then you can get the SQL Server docs for SQL 2014 through that help viewer.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:42 PM

All replies

• I cannot say what happened with the Community menu item, as I have never used it, nor understood the point with it.

First, uninstall SSMS 2014 and get hold of the latest version of SSMS from this link:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

SSMS has now been decoupled from SQL Server release, and ships separately with monthly updates. It is currently referred to as SSMS 2016, but it is not really the correct name - it's only SSMS.

SSMS 2008 built on the shell for Visual Studio 2005.
    SSMS 2012/2014 built on the shell for VS 2010.
    SSMS (2016) builds on the shell for VS 2015.

Whether that is a good thing or not can be disputed, but personally I think that Microsoft has made some improvement with the latest version of SSMS.

Once you have SSMS 2016, you can get the documentation for the T-SQL Reference. Microsoft has messed it up a little bit, but Tibor Karaszi has the details in this blog post:
    http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi/archive/2016/06/30/books-online-for-sql-server-2016.aspx

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 4:36 PM
    Well, the point with it is that it gives access to this forum. Without it, I'd've never known it existed and might still be fumbling about trying to write code for my first job assignment. Now, it's not a big deal, as I said, because I made a short cut out of the link, but it has been a job saver - and made me look rather SQL-savvy in the eyes of my boss a couple of times.

First, uninstall SSMS 2014 and get hold of the latest version of SSMS from this link

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me. I do not have sufficient rights on my box to uninstall or install software.
    Once you have SSMS 2016, you can get the documentation for the T-SQL Reference.
    Hmm. Going by the current rate of upgrading, we'll get SSMS 2016 sometime in 2024. If I read you right, it appears that my only viable option is to purchase a book on SQL 2016.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:16 PM
  • Well, the point with it is that it gives access to this forum. Without it, I'd've never known it existed and might still be fumbling about trying to write code for my first job assignment.

You mean that you would never had gotten the idea to try Google? You would have found this place (or some other forum) pretty quick.

Oh, the joys of corporate IT!

There is a documentation entry in the SQL Server program groups where you can download the documentation (but it may require permissions on the box you don't have). Unfortunately, that is Help Viewer 1.1 which is awful.

Are you bestowed with Visual Studio on your machine? Then you can get the SQL Server docs for SQL 2014 through that help viewer.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:42 PM
  • You mean that you would never had gotten the idea to try Google?

One, I was and still use a search engine for help. But, I use Bing, not google as I boycott google.

Two, this community was easily found using the "Community" menu item that came with VS. And has, in most cases, been vastly superior to anything found via any search engine.

Three, isn't your comment a bit unnecessarily snarky?
    Monday, September 12, 2016 3:23 PM