none
"Activedocument" project gets deleted / error #5981 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum,

from time to time users here experience the error message #5981 saying: "Could not open macro storage".

This message appears when VBA calls s.th. like "[Application.]Activedocument.FullName".

Looking in the project-explorer in VBA reveals that a project for the current document is missing (see attached screenshot).

To be honest I am kind of confused about this: We did not manage to track down the action that leads to this.

Do you have any idea how the project for the activedocument can be deleted?

Kind regards

Sascha

Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:34 AM

All replies

• Dear Forum,

from time to time users here experience the error message #5981 saying: "Could not open macro storage".

This message appears when VBA calls s.th. like "[Application.]Activedocument.FullName".

Looking in the project-explorer in VBA reveals that a project for the current document is missing (see attached screenshot).

To be honest I am kind of confused about this: We did not manage to track down the action that leads to this.

Do you have any idea how the project for the activedocument can be deleted?

Kind regards

Sascha

• Edited by Sascha2K Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:00 AM clarification "activedocument" project / object
    • Moved by George123345 Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:04 AM
    • Merged by Cindy Meister MVPModerator Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:17 PM same question
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Word, the issue is more related to Word coding/programing, you'd better post your question to the MSDN forum for Word

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=worddev&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:03 AM
  • Hi Sascha

Mmm, various things can cause the error message, see for example

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/224338
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/247028

Is the code triggering the error running in-process (Word vBA macro) or out-of-process?

Which version of Word is showing the behavior? It's been a long time (years) since I've seen this error reported - not since Normal.dot became Normal.dotm and no longer got damaged so often.

My gut feeling is that something is "corrupting" the document...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:00 PM
  • Hey Cindy,

thanks for your reply!

I would exclude KB224338 ("Word is started under a user account whose 'user hive' is not loaded)"
    About KB247028 (The global template file that is used by Word might be corrupt): I think that we already created a new Normal.dotm but I will look into it once more.

Regarding your questions: We have a Word Add-In here with VBA that Triggers the error. We are using Word 2010 x86 14.0.7145.5000.

I do feel the same about the corruption of the document.

We will look into re-creation of Normal.dotm once more and try to figure out when this happens exactly because by now it just happens randomly from time to time.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:23 PM
  • Hi Sascha

Is this a VBA Add-in, VSTO Add-in, or...?

In general terms, what does the add-in do (before it gets to Document.FullName)?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:28 PM