Export function not working in Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• so i've got a report displayed in IE, but when i go to export to any file format, IE opens a new tab and that's it. depending on certain settings (like adding the server to intranet zone), i can get the new tab to say nothing or "Blank Page".

i've tried adding the server to the safe zones, i've played with some tabs settings, i enabled the "run active x" options...

finally i reset all settings of IE to their defaults. i still can't figure out what i'm missing. if i copy the url to another browser the export works fine, as expected. on another machine i found this "rsclientprint 2008" addon so i downloaded that but i still got nothing.

on a working machine, when i click the export button, a new tab opens with the name of the reporting server in it, it thinks a bit, then that tab closes and i get the "open or save" message in the original tab. on the one that's not working, it opens the new tab, DOESN'T show the server name and that's the end of it. so it seems like it can't connect to the server on the export function. (but report creation works just fine)

anyone know of anything glaring that i'm missing??

~if this were /. this sig would be funny

• Edited by owen_i Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:36 PM clarifying the symptoms
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:46 PM

Answers

• i've found the solution.

wipe my machine and re-install windows from scratch.

but until i have the time to do that, i'll just run my report, then copy the url string to my clipboard, open IE x64, paste the string in there, hit return, get the report then hit the export to get my PDF. easy peasy.

• Marked as answer by owen_i Friday, October 24, 2014 4:36 PM
    • Edited by owen_i Friday, October 24, 2014 4:36 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 4:36 PM

All replies

• Does the IE report an error?  Check the instructions below under "Navegação".

After that send the result back, please.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:52 PM
  • enabled that "Display notification about every script error" option, closed, checked that no instances are still running, opened IE, ran the report, and same thing. a blank tab opens and nothing else.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:56 PM
  • Is this problem reproduced just on your local environment? Could you try in another machine?
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:58 PM
  • seems like it's just mine. i've got two other admins here where it works and it works in my other browsers. that's why i thought the complete reset would work.

i never use IE and i'm just curious to find out what's happening in case our users get hit with a similar problem. 

i do have an addon that's been disabled always, but maybe i'll uninstall it completely and report back.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:06 PM
  • Maybe your last option is to repair IE installation. Unfortunately some problems we don't find the root cause on IE. Last week I had a problem that was just solver after repair automatically.
    • Proposed as answer by Deric Ferreira Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:14 PM
  • good call - i'll try that now.

the app i had installed before was Classic Shell so that Windows Explorer's (win7) left hand pane doesn't jump around on you when you double click.

i just completely uninstalled the application and rebooted. still nothing.

going to do a repair while classic shell is uninstalled. brblol

UPDATE:

so i couldn't run the IE installer (per MS suggestions) because i have a newer version. so i tried the fixer that i found here:

http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety

and it found the following "errors":

Issues found
    Detected
    Enable Data Execution Prevention
    Not Run
    Detected
    Reset Security settings
    Not Run
    Detected

Enable Pop-Up Blocker

after fixing, the problem still exists!

• Edited by owen_i Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:26 PM status update
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:17 PM
  • so i've uninstalled the IE 11 update which threw me back to version 8.  Version 8 works.

so i upgraded to IE 9 via windows updates (downloading IE 11 resulted in an installation error which gave me this link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=299204 (redirect to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2872074) which also doesn't work for me) so i just did WU and it found that i could upgrade to IE 9.

upgrading to IE 9, i found that i got the same problem as in IE 11 - hitting export to any file type, gives me a new tab, but it never puts the server name in the tab (as it does on the computers that work) and it just stops at opening a new tab.

i went back to IE 8 and it works again.

i exported both IE 8 and IE 9 settings in gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Administration Templates > right-click Internet Explorer and choose Export List...

and all my options for both are "not configured" and "no" comment.

• Edited by owen_i Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:05 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Great job.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:04 PM
  • well, it's still broken :)

and i'm still curious what's breaking on IE 9+ on my machine and why it's fine on the others.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:18 PM
  • i think i've found it.

somehow my machine has two versions of IE - a 32 and 64 bit version. (in the "Program Files (x86)" and "Program Files" dirs respectively).

when SSRS runs, it's grabbing the 32bit version which breaks. if i paste the url into the 64 bit version, it works fine.

now, i'll try to uninstall (or set as default??) the 64bit version.

• Marked as answer by owen_i Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by owen_i Friday, October 24, 2014 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:20 PM
  • OMG. Great job!
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:21 PM
  • i've found the solution.

wipe my machine and re-install windows from scratch.

but until i have the time to do that, i'll just run my report, then copy the url string to my clipboard, open IE x64, paste the string in there, hit return, get the report then hit the export to get my PDF. easy peasy.

• Marked as answer by owen_i Friday, October 24, 2014 4:36 PM
    • Edited by owen_i Friday, October 24, 2014 4:36 PM
    Friday, October 24, 2014 4:36 PM