PowerPivot: Max Length for Data Type=Text RRS feed

• Question

• Simple question. Is it possible to have very long descriptions not get truncated in PowerPivot for Excel 2010? The max length appears to be 100 chars, is this correct? Is this alterable?

Thanks!

~Bricks

AB

Friday, March 4, 2016 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

In Excel 2010 PowerPivot the column description do have a limitation of 255 characters:

But for data in a column of type "Text" there is no real limit, here I imported data from table "JobCandidate" from AdventureWorks with a few thousand characters per data and it works:

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Edited by Olaf HelperMVP Monday, March 7, 2016 11:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by IcyBricks Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:57 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Bricks,

According to your description, this issue is related to PowerPivot, the Power Pivot forum is the better place for this issue and I will move it there for you.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 7, 2016 8:11 AM
  • Hey there,

i guess you're talking about the length of the column. This is restricted to 100 characters and i guess there is no (supported) way of increasing this.

Sorry for that :(

Monday, March 7, 2016 11:03 AM
  • Hello,

In Excel 2010 PowerPivot the column description do have a limitation of 255 characters:

But for data in a column of type "Text" there is no real limit, here I imported data from table "JobCandidate" from AdventureWorks with a few thousand characters per data and it works:

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Edited by Olaf HelperMVP Monday, March 7, 2016 11:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by IcyBricks Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:57 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 11:41 AM
  • Thanks so much for the responses!

@Olaf Helper your screen shot shows me that my 50 to 150 character data tuples should be getting in there no problem! But they are getting chopped off at the 100th character. Any clue as to what could be happening?

• Data Type: Text
    • Format: Text

Also the query I am using joins a SQL View to a SQL Table-Valued Function. Is there any problem there?

SELECT
      view.columnA,  view.columnB, ...
      tblvfunc.Description, ...
      view.columnY,  view.columnZ

FROM
      lengthyViewName AS view INNER JOIN  lengthTableValuedFunctionName(1) AS tblvfunc ON view.myID = tblvfunc.myID

where the (1) parameter is for US_English

AB

• Edited by IcyBricks Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:58 PM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 2:51 PM
  • I can't confirm, for me it works:

If I see i right, the data source of column "Description" is the Table Value Function "lengthTableValuedFunctionName" (tblvfunc ); does this return correct & full length values, if you e.g. run the query in SSMS?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:38 PM
  • Around the time of my last reply I had asked the DB Admin to look into just that very question. He just got back to me and verified the problem is on his end and is being corrected within SQL for me. I'm going to go ahead and mark your first reply as the answer as this will be the most likely help for any viewers of this thread. Thank you Olaf!

AB

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:57 PM