none
Security Update for SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 2 (KB3045321) update problem - error code 858C001E, and error code 1642 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an "important update" to install that won't install. It is Security Update for SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 2 (KB3045321). It fails with error code 858C001E. I can't find any help on that error.
    According to the event viewer there were three errors from MsiInstaller:
    Product: SQL Server 2012 Database Engine Services - Update '{2FCB8511-8FA3-4CFD-B6AD-7B48F91A418E}' could not be installed. Error code 1642. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Windows\TEMP\MSI8bc0f.LOG.
    Product: SQL Server 2012 Full text search - Update '{231E355A-23FF-4D51-984B-26623B3B26CC}' could not be installed. Error code 1642. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Windows\TEMP\MSI8bc10.LOG.
    Product: SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services - Update '{7E4F64D0-D295-4410-BD36-E8B49D06A50E}' could not be installed. Error code 1642. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Windows\TEMP\MSI8bc11.LOG.
    I think error code 1642 means it could not find the product to update. I don't use SQL Server. I installed it a while back to experiment only, so I uninstalled it today, but Windows Update seems to still think I need the update and, of course, it still fails.
    Any suggestions?
    Rob
    Sunday, July 26, 2015 1:53 PM

Answers

• I have an "important update" to install that won't install. 

I think error code 1642 means it could not find the product to update. I don't use SQL Server. I installed it a while back to experiment only, so I uninstalled it today, but Windows Update seems to still think I need the update and, of course, it still fails.

Well, you uninstalled it. And I think you worry about the windows update. So, you can right click on that update and select the "Hide update". 

Saeid Hasani (My Writings on TechNet Wiki ,T-SQL Blog)

Monday, July 27, 2015 9:17 PM

All replies

• I don't use SQL Server.
    I installed it a while back to experiment only, so I uninstalled it today, but Windows Update seems to still think I need the update and, of course, it still fails.

======

Product: SQL Server 2012 Database Engine Services - Update '{2FCB8511-8FA3-4CFD-B6AD-7B48F91A418E}' could not be installed. Error code 1642.
      >> Additional information is available in the log file C:\Windows\TEMP\MSI8bc0f.LOG.

Product: SQL Server 2012 Full text search - Update '{231E355A-23FF-4D51-984B-26623B3B26CC}' could not be installed. Error code 1642.
      >> Additional information is available in the log file C:\Windows\TEMP\MSI8bc10.LOG. 

Product: SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services - Update '{7E4F64D0-D295-4410-BD36-E8B49D06A50E}' could not be installed. Error code 1642.
      >> Additional information is available in the log file C:\Windows\TEMP\MSI8bc11.LOG.

José Diz     Belo Horizonte, MG - Brasil

Sunday, July 26, 2015 5:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Can you post output of select @@Version I need to know before deciding course of action

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Sunday, July 26, 2015 6:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but I don't even know what "@@Version" means. Can you explain?

Rob

Monday, July 27, 2015 12:47 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but I don't even know what "@@Version" means. Can you explain?

Rob

Open Sql server management studio connect to instance you want to upgrade with the patch  and ithen run below command and post the output

select @@Version 

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Monday, July 27, 2015 12:56 PM
  • Thanks. I was following the instructions to remove the SQl Server Instance and ran into an error that said,

SQL Server Setup failure. 

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

The specified directory, "C:lProgram FileslMicrosoftSQL Server\" for the INSTALLSHAREDDIR
    parameter is not valid because this directory is compressed or is in a compressed directory. Specify a
    directory that is not compressed.

Error code ox858C001E. 

I find it interesting that the error code at the bottom of this message, ox858C001E, is the same error code that was preventing the update from running. I recently compressed my C: drive to save space and wonder if that is the source of my problems.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here because I saw no opportunity to "specify a directly that is not compressed".

Thanks,

Rob

Monday, July 27, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Who asked you to remove SQL Server instance did I? I am just asking simple thing but seems you are not interested in reading the responses in that case I cannot help you.

FYI,

SQL Server is not supported on compressed drive. Un-compress the drive and do whatever you want to do

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

• Proposed as answer by phecht_wescom Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by José DizEditor Saturday, March 17, 2018 11:00 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 5:14 PM
  • I have an "important update" to install that won't install. 

Well, you uninstalled it. And I think you worry about the windows update. So, you can right click on that update and select the "Hide update". 

Saeid Hasani (My Writings on TechNet Wiki ,T-SQL Blog)

Monday, July 27, 2015 9:17 PM
  • Sorry. I appreciate your help and did not mean to upset you. I was uninstalling the instance as suggested by Jose Diz, not you. I think the problem is because I compressed the drive after installing SQl Server. I will uncompress the drive and see if that resolves.

Thanks,
    Rob

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 12:24 PM
  • Thanks! That'll do!
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 1:59 PM
  • I had my "C:\program files" compressed.  When I uncompressed the "Microsoft SQL Server" folder I finally got SP2 to install!  If it just told me that was the issue, it would have been solved weeks ago.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:20 PM