none
Setup gets "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing." from image based on 'Application Compatibility' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to develop an image using ICE.  I've created an image using the "minimum configuration" as a template and added my customizations and some additional packages to it.  I'm able to load it onto a flash drive and install it fine.  But, in order to get my target application to work, I need the functionality included in the "application compatibility" template.  When "creating IBW image from answer file" using that particular answer file, I'm now faced with an error message "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing." when trying to install from a flash drive.  So, my two questions are:

- What windows package suddenly required a CD/DVD driver for install that didn't require it for a minimal configuration?  Seems odd.  I've also tried with a DVD drive attached and not attached.  Requires a driver each time.

- How can I include a CD/DVD driver?  Tried copying cdrom.sys and .inf from a windows 7 install to the "out-of-box drivers" and including that, but it didn't work.  It doesn't seem to be one of the standard drivers in the "Packages/Driver" folder (though I did try included all the drivers and still no luck).  A "find" on the distribution share of cdrom does show some files in "Windows Embedded Edition/Files" but the find also indicates it is already in my answer file as well.  But, I'm not sure if a package actually pulls this in somehow.

I would appriciate any information anyone may have.  Thanks.

Monday, July 26, 2010 8:58 PM

Answers

• Do you have another USB drive you could try?

There seems to be some file corruption happening. It's possible that your USB disk is partially corrupted and those corrupted areas are only being written to when you have a large amount of packages in your configuration.

• Marked as answer by doobop Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:48 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:39 PM

All replies

• Where are you getting this error message? Before install starts? During the install? After the install?

I'm not sure why this would happen, but you can try a few different ways to add drivers.

1. On your IBW disk, there's the file \sources\tap.exe. If you run this file on your device, it generates a list of hardware on the device and spits it out to a devices.pmq file. You can then do File\Import\Import PMQ in ICE, and you'll add drivers for your hardware to your answer file. Recreate your IBW disk with that answer file, and that might solve the problem.
    2. If that doesn't work, you can try just adding the entire drivers folder to your configuration. Just drag the Packages\Driver folder over, and you now have every single driver that ships with Win7.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Thanks for the response Robert.

This is happening during install.  Files get loaded, I get prompted to build an image or deploy an image using an answer file, I choose "build an image", and after a few seconds of setup running, I get a dialog that the CD/DVD driver is missing and it offers options to browse. 

I tried both suggestions and both still get the error.  When I imported the PMQ file, there was a message under the "Import PMQ" tab "ATAPI iHAS324  Y ATA Device (IDE\CdRomATAPI_iHAS324__Y____________BL1W...."  so it seems like it found something.  But the package listed next to it was "Windows Embedded Edition".  I still confused if the driver is in one of the driver packages or grouped in the core package.  Included all drivers still didn't solve the problem.  Also, I disconnected the DVD drive for these tests.  Not sure what's causing the requirement for the driver.

I did have success though creating a bootable DVD image with the "oscdimg" command, moving that to a DVD and installing.  Same image, no drivers added or removed, just a different media.  I just hate to burn a DVD for each test image.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Ok, I'm trying to confirm with you what did work and what didn't work.

When you created your working minimum configuration, how did you use IBW? Was it a full IBW configuration on a thumb drive? Did you use the Build an Image wizard, or did you have an answer file already that you pointed IBW to?

For the non-working application compatibility configuration, how did you use IBW? It sounds like you used Create IBW disk from answer file, but then in your latest response you said that you clicked Build an Image. If you created an IBW disk from answer file, then when you boot into that disk, it should automatically start installing your answer file configuration without giving you the option to Build an Image. If for some reason it doesn't do that, you'd want to select the Answer file or WIM option and browse to your answer file instead of clicking build an image, as you have already created your answer file.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:19 AM
  • The minimum configuration was built with ICE and exported to a directory using "Create IBW image from Answer File".  The image size is 883 MB - so it should be only the files included in the answer file.  The thumb drive is cleared.  The directory is directly copied over to the thumb drive.  When I boot off the thumb drive, it loads files and runs setup and the first interaction screen is I see accepting the license agreement.   I'm assuming it runs from the AutoUnattend.xml file for configuration information.

The non-working application compatibility configuration is built in the same way (image size 1.94 GB).  You are correct, when I boot off this image, instead of taking me to the license agreement, I get prompted to build an image or select an Answer file or WIM.  This is different with the failing image.  I have selected both options, build an image and selecting an answer file (using the answer file I saved in ICE), and both options fail with the missing CD/DVD driver message. 

Now, when I create the .iso image from the application compatibility image directory, burn a DVD, and install from the DVD, the first interaction screen I see is the license agreement and not  the option to build an image.  So, I'm not sure why just the failing image takes this path.  All I do is create image in ICE and copy.

Thanks for the follow up.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:00 PM
  • That's very strange...

Can you see if there are any files under X:\windows\panther? You can access a command prompt by clicking the Launch WinPE Command Prompt link on the first page, or hitting Shift + F10. If these logs are there, they would show up after you receive the error message.

Can you also use the Create IBW disk from with full Distribution Share option in ICE, and try out that disk? If you're able to get up to the disk selection page in the wizard, that's good enough. If that works, try saving your answer file and placing it on your Full Distribution Share disk, then browse to the answer file in IBW and see if that works.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:07 PM
  • When I received the messaged, I hit Shift+F10 and copied the logs.  No obvious errors and no references to either CD or DVD.  I'd be happy to upload them if you have any interest in view them.

I created the full distribution share, copied it over to my thumb drive, and selected my answer file to install the image.  But, the problem still occured.  Just doesn't like my flash drive with many of the packages included.  Fortunately, burning the images to DVD give me a way to install them. 

FWIW, my target system is single board computer based on the Intel 945 chipset and I have a 4-port USB hub plugged into the the USB port so I can use the mouse, keyboard, and flash drive. 

Thanks again for the response.

Friday, July 30, 2010 6:53 PM
  • I've never seen anything like that before.

Can you try choosing Build an Image on your full distribution share disk, then choose the application compatibility template, and see if that works? I know it's not your full answer file, but I'd be interested to see what happens. You could also try selecting your full answer file from the template selection box (where you would choose Minimum, Application Compat, etc - click the browse button).

Also, if you could try renaming your answer file to AutoUnattend.xml, drop that at the root of your USB drive, then unplug your USB hub and just plug in your USB drive. It may be something strange with the USB Hub causing problems. If an AutoUnattend.xml file is at the root of the drive, IBW will automatically detect it and attempt to install.

Monday, August 2, 2010 8:51 PM
  • > Can you try choosing Build an Image on your full distribution share disk, then choose the application compatibility template

I don't get far enough to choose the template.  Just see "Setup is Starting" and the next thing is a dialog to Select a driver with a message box on top of that saying the CD/DVD driver is missing.

> Also, if you could try renaming your answer file to AutoUnattend.xml, drop that at the root of your USB drive, then unplug your USB hub and just plug in your USB drive.

The AutoUnattend.xml is there.  With the minimal configuration, it works.  With the richer configuration, it fails.  I did try to unplug the hub and plug the keyboard and USB drive (no mouse) directly into the USB slots.  But, that still failed in the same manner.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:13 PM
  • Could you upload the following things? Uploading them anywhere will be fine, but many users like to use SkyDrive: http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive

1. The Panther folder from the failed installation
    2. The answer file for the failed installation
    3. The answer file for the minimum configuration successful installation
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:16 PM
  • I've uploaded the failing data to skydrive. 

Hopefully, this is the correct location for you to access: http://cid-dc05cdbb65d788f7.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Documents

BTW, I think I got a more complex answer file to work (at least it got to the language selection screen).  It is also included.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Do you have another USB drive you could try?

There seems to be some file corruption happening. It's possible that your USB disk is partially corrupted and those corrupted areas are only being written to when you have a large amount of packages in your configuration.

• Marked as answer by doobop Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:48 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Ack.  That was the only USB drive I had large enough to hold the larger image (and I bought it about a month ago, too).  Bought another one and works OK.  Thanks for your time.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:47 PM