none
Excel Plugin installation with out admin rights RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have developed an excel plugin which is a combination of dll written in c# and VBA project(.xla file). We have created .msi to ship the plugin using Install Shield and the settings in it had Require admin privileges set to NO.

The installation seems to be seamless regardless of whether it was installed on a PC with admin rights or without admin rights.

However the plugin loads fine only on the PC where it was installed with admin rights.

When installed with user without admin rights, Opening excel comes up with an error "Compile error in hidden module: ". The same message appears when closing excel as well. 

I have searched through internet and found couple of ways it can it can be resolved

1. By manually registering mscomctl.ocx but cannot be done as the user don't have admin rights

2. Deleting .exd files in USER_HOME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Forms dir (Tried this but no success)

I ran out of ideas and couldn't find anything more on this. Can anyone please let me know what I should be doing to resolve this?

Additional Info:

The location where registry entries are written is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings

I am deploying all my files to C:\Program Files\<Project Name> dir 

and Interop.Excel.dll is one of the files am shipping along with my dll and .xla file 

So don't think any of the above needs admin rights. Please let  me know if I am wrong?

Many thanks for your help!!!

• Edited by Kittu1201 Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:43 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Kittu1201,

>>which is a combination of dll written in c# and VBA project(.xla file).

What do you mean by “a combination of dll written in c#”? Do you use VSTO? If yes, is it application level or document level?

>> We have created .msi to ship the plugin using Install Shield and the settings in it had Require admin privileges set to NO.

As far as I know, Install Shield is a third party product and I'm not very familiar with it. For questions about Install Shield, I will suggest you going to the Install Shield official site for help.

>> Opening excel comes up with an error "Compile error in hidden module: ".

I made a research about this error, it could be caused by a specific *.xla file and the KB below might be useful to you:

# You receive a "Compile error in hidden module" error message when you start Word or Excel
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/307410

If the issue keeps existing, can you share a us very simple sample to help us to reproduce this issue.​

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 7:32 AM