Windows gadgets or tiles for weather and similar data

Question

• Hi there

I want to ask something regarding the new Metro tiles which will push data like weather condition etc.In the previous versions of Microsoft Windows like Windows Vista and Windows 7 the gadgets which came preinstalled with the OS it self didn't work for citizens from Macedonia,Serbia,Albania,Bosnia etc.If I changed my region to US or Italy for example the widgets were displaying the weather and didn't had the message saying "This service is not available for this region".Will you remove this silly barrier in Windows 8?It's very rude from Microsoft to select countries which are eligible for basic gadget to display weather information and similar things(Most of the gadgets from Vista and 7 don't work for the countries mentioned).I think this is very unfair because you want to bring the unified desktop notification system and up to date you failed because users from these countries can't use your very own apps for that.I hope that the upcoming tiles for weather notifications and etc will work with these countries and we wont have to see the same message "This service is not available for this region". 

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns. This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern.

If you like you can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback tool from the Connect site associated with your Windows Developer Preview Program. If you are a MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There's a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account.  If you are not a MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link (https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147)  to join the Connect Program and then follow the steps here.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/5227f0c3-7750-4833-a99f-6247041ddee9

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Also would be Nice with simple selection of Celcius vs Farenheit - used 10 min now without finding a setting to change this...

Maybe a shortcoming of the Weather app?  (My location and Keyboard Language are set to a "Celcius" country)

And again that Metro apps maximize to occupy the whole screen is good for mobile Devices but not for a 1900x1200 24" desktop display... very annoying the lack of control these apps indicate for the future.  What's next a new Notepad without possibility to erase text?

(And why is the text I Write in these reply boxes auto-corrected to wrong capitalizations ?  IE10 feature?)

• Edited by Rune W Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:45 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Hey Rune W,

You can change the temperature units to Celsius from Fahrenheit by following these steps:

• Open the Weather Metro style application
    • Open the Charms bar (This is the bar that can be activated by hovering your mouse in the lower left corner of the screen, or if you have a touch screen, by touching the right edge of the screen and dragging your finger toward the center of the screen.) (The keyboard combination Windows key + C will also open the Charms bar)
    • Click Settings
    • Click Weather preferences

Then you will be given the option to choose between Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:37 PM