none
Monitoring Azure Functions in realtime?

Question

• Application Insight gets my function's logs with minimum 3 minutes delay. I realised that log-streaming service (available in each function) shows the logs in real time. But that's not very convenient. Is there any other way to get logs in real time?

Also according to Azure, Application Insight perform its tasks in near-real time. Having 3 minutes delay, I'm wondering how can it do its tasks in near real time? 

P.S: my function app is quite simple and doesn't do heavy task.
    Saturday, January 26, 2019 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Mahdi aza

Log Streaming is definitely real-time but could you elaborate more on the inconvenient aspects of it? Perhaps, that is something we can file a feature request around at Azure UserVoice? There are many other alternatives for monitoring your Azure Functions: i.e., you can explore emitting logs to Azure Event Hubs and the receiving platform could be PowerBI or Azure Monitoring or a different 3rd party platform as well.

I suspect the delay originates from the minimally required utility related work for things like log messages are ingested & transferred over the appropriate pipelines as well as other necessary infra layer requirements, all-in-all, to ensure that the logs are processed properly. Although 3min delay might seem a bit too long in your scenario, it may be considered as near-realtime & effective for monitoring higher scale scenarios that involve significant volumes.

Sunday, January 27, 2019 10:18 PM
  • Hi Mahdi aza

Log Streaming is definitely real-time but could you elaborate more on the inconvenient aspects of it? Perhaps, that is something we can file a feature request around at Azure UserVoice? There are many other alternatives for monitoring your Azure Functions: i.e., you can explore emitting logs to Azure Event Hubs and the receiving platform could be PowerBI or Azure Monitoring or a different 3rd party platform as well.

I suspect the delay originates from the minimally required utility related work for things like log messages are ingested & transferred over the appropriate pipelines as well as other necessary infra layer requirements, all-in-all, to ensure that the logs are processed properly. Although 3min delay might seem a bit too long in your scenario, it may be considered as near-realtime & effective for monitoring higher scale scenarios that involve significant volumes.

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

I expect to  see a consolidated view of logs from all my functions. In production, it's very inconvenient for me to open each individual function's menu, and to see its real time log.

I understand that Application Insight does a lot of things under neath, but I don't consider 3 min delay (for my bare minimum function) as "near-real time". Indeed when there is a problem in my application with thousands of concurrent visitors, I need to detect the problem and react ASAP. Because each second can slash out thousands of my users who won't visit my website again (it takes few seconds for users to leave a webpage that doesn't load).

AWS X-Ray is observability tool similar to Application Insight. In less than a minute (around 30-45 seconds - circa) it reflects that latest status of application. AWS CloudWatch shows logs of functions in less than 30 seconds (circa). (I'm just comparing the rough time for a bare minimum function). So, it's possible to to get this kind of report faster and if Application Insight is three times slower, this probably means that something needs to be improved. Please correct me if you disagree with me.

Yes there is always alternatives to do things differently. But personally, I expect from my monitoring tool to, BY DEFAULT, be able provide "near-real time" (in it's true sense) logs and in a consolidated view. 

I hope you haven't got offended by my words. I just want to help you to realise what do I need, as a user. And I'm more than happy to hear your comments.

Thank you

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 11:13 AM