none
XLSX - what worksheets are printed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

How does the XLSX file specify which worksheets are printed? I have one where it has:

<workbook xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main" xmlns:r="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships">
    	<fileVersion appName="xl" lastEdited="4" lowestEdited="4" rupBuild="4507"/>
    	<workbookPr defaultThemeVersion="124226"/>
    	<bookViews>
    		<workbookView visibility="hidden" xWindow="9795" yWindow="-15" windowWidth="3315" windowHeight="7200" tabRatio="603"/>
    		<workbookView xWindow="-15" yWindow="-15" windowWidth="15420" windowHeight="4140" activeTab="1"/>
    	</bookViews>

And this does not print the first worksheet. Is that due to the visibility="hidden"?

And if so, where/how is that set in Excel? The tab for that worksheet is shown and if I RMB on it, I have the option to hide it so it is not hidden in Excel.

??? - thanks - dave

Who will win The International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

The “print” what you described does go through Excel (assuming xlsx is associated with Excel); you can observe that after clicking “print” Excel comes up. The default print setting is to print the active sheet, what your experiment confirms.

Thanks, Vilmos

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:09 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Thank you for your question. In the future, please provide to which document (including version) and section your question is related.
    A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi 
    - MSFT

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Hi;

ISO/IEC 29500-1.

I don't know what version/section because I don't know where/how this is set. workbookView is 18.2.30 but the values for ST_Visibility (18.18.89) don't describe what each setting means in practice.

thanks - dave

Friday, August 31, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Sunday, September 2, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Hi Vilmos;

Any luck getting an answer yet?

thanks - dave

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I am still looking into this issue. I hope to have more information for you soon. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Vilmos

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Hi Dave,

The snippet in your original posting is exactly the same as in Tropic_test.xlsx, what you used in another thread, so I assume you are using the same spreadsheet to ask the question here. I also assume that from the Print options you chose “Entire Workbook”. From the snippet I assume that for the information whether a sheet is printed you looked which workbook is hidden. The information which sheet is hidden, printed or not, is “below” the workbook view information, in the <sheets> element. If we choose not to print, e.g., the first sheet, after hiding it the snippet would look like this:
      <sheets>
        <sheet name="sheet1" sheetId="1" state="hidden" r:id="rId1"/>
        <sheet name="sheet2" sheetId="6" r:id="rId2"/>
      </sheets>

Thanks, Vilmos

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Hi Vilmos;

Thanks, that all makes perfect sense.

However...

• I unhid both views and the first sheet so everything comes up visible when I open it in Excel - two views/panes, each with both worksheets. 
      • I then saved that file.
      • I then right clicked on it and selected print - and got a single page printed.

So why does it print just one worksheet. And how does it decide which view to use for that worksheet?

File is at http://www.windward.net/temp/Tropic_test_print_all.xlsx

??? - thanks - dave

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Please give more information.
    In your third bullet you wrote “I then right clicked on it”, what the “it” refers to?
    What was your Print Settings?

Thanks, Vilmos

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Sorry, that was unclear. I saved the file (http://www.windward.net/temp/Tropic_test_print_all.xlsx) and then in the Windows explorer right clicked on the file. The RMB menu is Open, New, Print, ...

On that menu I clicked print. I figure that then does the default printing for the workbook. (So Excel was not running while I did this.)

thanks - dave

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Hi Dave,

The “print” what you described does go through Excel (assuming xlsx is associated with Excel); you can observe that after clicking “print” Excel comes up. The default print setting is to print the active sheet, what your experiment confirms.

Thanks, Vilmos

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:09 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Ok - thanks. It looks like Excel does not have what I really want which is print this pane/view of these sheets as the default.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:09 PM