none
How to add another operating system for Dual boot in Windows 7 boot configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have dell laptop with excellent configuration. On which i had windows 7 Home premium on C Drive and Windows server 2008 on D Drive.

Now i upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. But after fresh installation of Win 7 Ultimate my dual boot screen has gone and Win 7 is getting start directly.

Now i want to add my Windows server 2008 again for dual boot which is still on D Drive.

Can anyone please tell me how to add windows 2008 boot option in boot configuration to active my dual boot options.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:17 PM

All replies

•  

1) Using bcdedit.exe /enum

To enable the computer to also boot Windows 7 you again use bcdedit.exe with the following command which will copy the current Windows Boot Loader details for Windows Server 2008 to Windows 7.

bcdedit.exe /copy {current} /d "Microsoft Windows 7"

bcdedit.exe will respond with something like the following.

The entry was successfully copied to {................................}.

Using bcdedit.exe /enum to again enumerate through the current entries within the BCD store you'll see the newly added entry.

Before you can use the newly created Windows boot loader configuration, you'll need to change the partition for Windows 7 using the following two bcdedit.exe commands.

bcdedit.exe /set {.................................} device partition=D:

bcdedit.exe /set {.................................} osdevice partition=D:

If you now reboot the system you should now be able to boot into either Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7.

• Proposed as answer by Filippov.I.S Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:17 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:51 AM
  • Thanks a lot Filip......... It Works,,,, Now i am able to boot my both OS
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Thanks a lot Filip......... It Works,,,, Now i am able to boot my both OS

You are welcome
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!
    • Proposed as answer by Mick Mickle Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:16 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:20 AM
  • Thanks. I can confirm it also works after installing windows 10 build 9926 (upgraded to 10049 when I tested) and lost my windows 8.1 build 9600 startup options. Now it works
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:59 AM