none
A few things to fix and a few things to add RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm enjoying SmallBasic alot and I hope it continues.

That said I have to say that I simply don't like the Intellisense feature. It is intrusive, always comes up when I don't want it, and above all seems to be in the way when I'm typing in a program statement. So, some option to switch it off or display it outside of the editor would be fine.

The help function needs a do-over. I find it clunky when I'm trying to find info on a command. Perhaps a search function to search for keywords and there usage.

I REALLY HATE the blue screen overlay that comes up as you start the application. Get rid of it!!

What I would like to see added are more BASIC statements such as inline assembly wherein you can type assembly instructions along with BASIC statements. I would like to see a SELECT CASE construct that will help with menu building.

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that when I try to format my IF constructs the editor doesn't always do the best job. For example, a few times

every statement was left justified, and with many IF's and ELSE's in my code it was a nightmare to debug.

That's all for now until I think of something else. So back to my programming.

Thanks for reading!

- Ilikebasic

Friday, November 18, 2011 12:41 AM

All replies

• You can right click and 'Format Program' to reformat all of a code file, hopefully getting the indents correct. 

I agree with several of your other points, but my experience is that all IDEs have quirks and it takes a bit of persistance to use any efficiently, ie using tab, controlC/V/X/Z and other shortcuts effectively.  I also don't like programs where the interface keeps changing, just as you get used to one.

Friday, November 18, 2011 10:24 AM
  • User comments are a great good to developers.

I REALLY HATE the blue screen overlay that comes up as you start the application. Get rid of it!!

• Blue screen overlay - it's more like a graphical design than a special cruel Microsoft's feature to prevent normal users from editing there code.

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that when I try to format my IF constructs the editor doesn't always do the best job. For example, a few times every statement was left justified, and with many IF's and ELSE's in my code it was a nightmare to debug.
    • It doesn't work better than the code formatter in Visual Studio IDE.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 4:23 PM
  • What do you mean by "help function"?
    ~~AirWaves!!~~
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Airwaves

I should say the help system and how it is implemented. There needs to be a more user friendly way to access syntax and keywords that are supported by Small Basic.

Oh and as a added gripe. I'm trying to change the colors of text in some output. The colors should somehow be easier to find and reference.

And the names for the colors. If I  want say light orange a choice might be peach puff mousse . Who is or wants to remember that name for petes sake!

Sunday, November 20, 2011 2:28 AM