none
Visual Studio 2015 Basic Issue.

Question

• Hi,

I am new to visual studio 2015, I am using express edition upgraded from 2013 edition. I will try to explain a major problem I am having.

In the 2013 version, when editing a string and you move away from that line and you have no closing quote, vs 2013 would automatically place the closing quote.
    For example:
    dim String as string = "This is my string
    would end up with the closing quote : "This is my string" when either saving file, compiling or leaving the line you are on.

In VS2015, this does not happen and ends up putting spaces and other incorrect information in the lines below this error, it is annoying as this changes strings / code below this and is sometimes not noticed when you fix the original error, leaving the added spaces, etc in the other strings or code.

Now, i know about automatic closing quotes, this is not the issue, when I place a string I will get the "" as normal, however: if you edit or paste a string that has no closing quote vs 2013 would put the closing quote there for you automatically when you finish editing that line or save your project, vs 2105 does not and creates all sorts of errors.

Is there an option for this, or is this how it is now?

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi MrHatterr,

According your description, I can reproduce it in my vs2013, and it also can’t be achieved in vs2015 and vs2017.

But I think it’s reasonable. I have helped you submitted a feedback to connect.microsoft.com, I think engineers from the MS will evaluate this issue seriously:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3128906

And you could mark this reply, which could help others who have the same idea to vote and comment it.

Thank you very much :)

Best Regards,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:58 AM