Scan QR code using Cortana Windows Store App

Question

• I am developing an app in which I need to implement QR code scanning. But could not find a suitable library and ZXing is not working properly as it does not detect the codes most of the times. As cortana can read QR codes. Is it possible to use cortana for scanning and get the output in app? If yes, how?
    Friday, February 27, 2015 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi, could you please specify the conditions when the ZXing isn't working?

I've worked with that lib, and I had similar problem but it was due to hardware limitations of the device i used and the size of the code i've needed to scan, as those codes were pretty small and in bad light conditions it wasn't working.

Therefore i'm interested. Thanks

Friday, February 27, 2015 12:10 PM
  • I picked a sample from website and it was working on some google QR codes larger than 350x350 earlier. But as I tried to read QR codes generated from our side it just captures a photo and does not decode the image at all. It also does not recognize the google QR codes now.
    Monday, March 02, 2015 5:28 AM
  • I picked a sample from website and it was working on some google QR codes larger than 350x350 earlier. But as I tried to read QR codes generated from our side it just captures a photo and does not decode the image at all. It also does not recognize the google QR codes now.

Have you tried these samples? https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/site/search?query=ZXing&f%5B0%5D.Value=ZXing&f%5B0%5D.Type=SearchText&ac=4

For your QR codes, could other QR scan app recognize them?

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Monday, March 02, 2015 6:02 AM
  • My requirement is to read barcodes not to create them as these will be created from server side
    Monday, March 02, 2015 9:24 AM
  • Hi, sorry for my late response, i wasn't here longer, could you please post which code did you tried (provide link) also the settings you used, i'll compare it with my code. Also could you please provide specification for the barcode that will be created by the server, these barcodes will be then printed or displayed on a web site? 
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:34 PM
  • I used the same example which you are talking about. Link to Sample is for Windows 8.1 and I used this in Windows Phone 8.1 but it is not working now at all. It does not decode the text at all.
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:20 AM
  • What type of codes exactly are you working with? 1D, 2D codes. 

How is your instance of BarcodeReader class initialized? the instance in the sample is initialized to work with QR Codes.

Also do you get any specific errors?

Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:03 AM
  • My reading coding is same as in sample and I have used the custom control provided in sample and haven't changed anything and we don't have any specific type for QR codes
    Friday, March 13, 2015 4:51 AM