none
A custom instance of a built-in Ribbon gallery works incorrectly in PowerPoint 2013 & 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A customer of Add-in Express has found an issue that I reproduce in a VSTO add-in with the following Ribbon XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">
      <ribbon>
        <tabs>
          <tab idMso="TabAddIns">
            <group id="MyGroup" label="My Group">
              <gallery label="myGallery" idMso ="SlideLayoutGallery" ></gallery>
            </group>
          </tab>
        </tabs>
      </ribbon>
    </customUI>

If you start PowerPoint with a new presentation, expand the custom gallery instance created by the XML above (see Add-ins | My Group | myGallery), choose any gallery item (e.g. Title Only) and expand the gallery again, you'll notice that the gallery doesn't reflect the layout change: it still shows the first item selected, not the one you've selected. This differs from the behavior of the built-in galley instance (Home | Slides | Layout).

I think the issue belongs to PowerPoint because the Paragraph Spacing gallery (idMso ="ParagraphSpacing") in Word 2013 works correctly for me. Hope someone is able to reproduce the issue and report it to the PowerPoint team.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Thursday, September 3, 2015 12:18 PM

Answers

• Hello Fei and Eugene,

Thank you for your help.

There's another way to make this work: you can replace the <gallery> tag with <control>. Still, we expect that the Ribbon works uniformly across all Office applications. This is why we regard this issue as a bug.

Please understand that we won't open a support ticket because we know how this things work: opening a ticket won't make PowerPoint work correctly. In fact, in this situation, such a ticket would just inform the PowerPoint team about the issue. But isn't this forum the shortest way to do the same?

Thank you for you understanding.

Andrei Smolin

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

• Marked as answer by Andrei Smolin Monday, September 7, 2015 11:20 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hello Andrei,

Have you ever tried opening a support case with Microsoft?

You will not be charged if the bug is confirmed.

Thursday, September 3, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Hi Andrei Smolin,

Thanks for the feedback about this issue.

I am able to reroduce this issue. And after the investigation, I found the root cause is the lable property. To fix this issue, we can remove the lable property for the gallery control.

In addition, you can try to contact Microsoft to open a ticket as Eugene metioned. Here is the link:
    http://support2.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?RDPATH=%2fdefault.aspx%3fid%3dfh%253ben-us%253bofferprophone

If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 4, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Hello Fei and Eugene,

Thank you for your help.

There's another way to make this work: you can replace the <gallery> tag with <control>. Still, we expect that the Ribbon works uniformly across all Office applications. This is why we regard this issue as a bug.

Please understand that we won't open a support ticket because we know how this things work: opening a ticket won't make PowerPoint work correctly. In fact, in this situation, such a ticket would just inform the PowerPoint team about the issue. But isn't this forum the shortest way to do the same?

Thank you for you understanding.

Andrei Smolin

• Marked as answer by Andrei Smolin Monday, September 7, 2015 11:20 AM
    Monday, September 7, 2015 11:20 AM