dataretirval failed for the subreport ,log files more info RRS feed

• Question

• HI I have developed 3 subreport in the main report ,trying to see the previenw in the main report we got the error below,please check the error which i posted in the screenshoot.

report parameter i clearly specified in the main report.

I could not find the log file information in the installtion folder.

Thank you

Friday, August 10, 2018 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please let us know which version of SSRS you are using?

Are the subreports when executed individually are working fine?

Is the dataset a shared dataset or an embedded data set? If you are using a shared dataset then please convert that into an embedded dataset and check.

There is a know issue with SSRS 2008 and shared dataset with sub reports. 

Also did you check by deploying reports on to the server?

HTH,

Ram

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps

Friday, August 10, 2018 10:56 AM
  • HI Ram

i was using SQL Reporting Services 2010

yes subreport indivdually executing fine 

we were using Shared dataset i tried change to embeded also find the same issue

no we were not deployed this report into the server.

what is the cause for this report? except above

And i could not find the SSRS log file in the directory were  could i find this??
    • Edited by Ychinnari Friday, August 10, 2018 11:06 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2018 11:05 AM
  • Hi Ychinnari

According to your description, you could do the following checks :

1 make sure all the dataset of main report and the sub report are embed.

2 remove the sub report 4 and then check if the main report works fine with other sub reports.

3 check the parameter which main report send to the sub report 4 , whether it is compatible with the parameter in the sub report 4 .(data  type , multiple or single value …)

You could get the log file located like below:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS13.MSSQLSERVER\ReportingServices\LogFiles\ReportServerService_<timestamp>.log   (before ssrs 2017)

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services\SSRS\LogFiles\ReportServerService_<timestamp>.log  (ssrs 2017)

Reference : Getting the error “Data retrieval failed for the subreport…..

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Monday, August 13, 2018 5:41 AM
  • I have tried all what you suggested above , embeded connection i given at all the reports level and report parameter values which i supplied and the data types which i passing at the report level, every thing is fine  but i dont know where the issue is persist in the report level.still getting the same error.

Onfortunatly the report server is installed on remotly we could not able to check the Log files for this error.

Please suggest any thing on this furthur investgations....

Thank you!

Monday, August 20, 2018 5:43 AM
  • Hi

If possible , could you please offer some detailed information about the following aspects.

1 does it works fine when run subreport4 Separately.

2 does the main report works fine when remove the subreport4

3 check if it works fine after restart all the services about ssrs , rebuild the same report ,reboot.

4 check the data of your sub report4 is compatible with your report structure . see:

5 check the parameter value passed to the sub report 4 ,change the parameter value and test again.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Monday, August 20, 2018 8:20 AM