File History feature replaces Previous Versions?!?

Question

• In Windows Vista and Windows 7, there is a Previous Versions feature which stores Shadow Copies on the LOCAL volume to store file history. In Windows 8 Developer Preview, there is a File History feature but that appears to be functional only for removable/external drives. But imagine my shock because I think Microsoft is replacing the local shadow copy feature (Previous Versions) with one that REQUIRES a removable/external drive??? This is totally unacceptable but all indications point to me that this is the case. In Advanced System Properties where you can configure the amount of disk space taken by Shadow Copies, it seems the only options are to disable System Protection or enable System Protection. The third option we have in Windows 7 to enable Shadow Copies and System Protection is missing?? Please clarify!!! Anyone without a removable drive is going to lose the Previous Versions feature???
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:51 PM

Answers

• xpclient,

Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns.  This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern. 

Thanks again,

Gary

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hey xpclient,

You are right, the Previous Versions functionality is not there in the Windows Developer Preview.   Whether or not the Previous Versions functionality will be there in future releases remains to be seen.  Currently, the expectation is that File History will be used as the alternative and there is a way to enable File History using only one local drive.  Here are the steps: 

1) Create a folder in your C: drive and share it by right clicking it, choose Properties, select Sharing tab, click Share button, verify your user account is there and the permission level is Owner, click Share, then click Done.

2) Go to the desktop Control Panel, make sure View by: is set to Large Icons, then open the File History control panel.

3) Select Change drive in the left pane, click Add network location, double click your Computer and select the share you created in step 1, then click Select Folder, then click Ok.

4) You will now be able to turn File History on and use the Share that you created as the Copy files to: location

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Gary

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:06 PM
    Answerer
  • But this is completely shocking! File History should be an alternative to Previous Versions, not a replacement. I use the Previous Versions feature extensively and it is completely impractical to expect Windows users to have a removable drive attached to use a similar feature. Because it uses delta Shadow Copies, Previous Versions doesn't take much disk space on the local drive. Please let the feedback to be forwarded to the correct people be clear from me: The file history feature should be an additional one for external drives! The usability and convenience offered by a Property Sheet (Previous Versions) is unmatched.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:57 PM
  • xpclient,

Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns.  This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern. 

Thanks again,

Gary

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Is is final? Previous Versions for local drives is going away and replaced by File History on removable drive???

Friday, October 14, 2011 5:31 PM