locked
Error generating Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 app... RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have an app created in previous version of Windows Phone App Studio.

    When I generated a version for Windows Phone 8, everything runs ok.

    But when I try to generate a Universal Windows Project to create an app that can be run on Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 I received the following error: "Sorry, something went wrong whilst generating your app.".

    Where can I see what's wrong?

    Thanks,

    AGil

    Friday, April 4, 2014 7:02 PM

Answers

  • Fixed it! The App Identity in the Associate App with the Store menu shouldn't be in quotes. The page that tells you how to do this made it seem like it should be. That should probably be reworded. Instead of, for example "1234user.YourAppName" it should be 1234user.YourAppName. This worked for me. Should be the problem you all are having as well.
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:31 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    I'm having exactly the same problem. Generating a Windows Phone 8.1 app works fine, but when I try to generate a Universal version for WP8.1 and Windows 8.1, I get the "Sorry, something went wrong whilst generating your app." error.

    I have gone through the steps in the How-To section on associating the app with the store for publishing an app to the Windows Store and I have a reserved App Name as required. I have an active Windows / Windows Phone Dev Center account, and a published Windows Phone app.

    Best Regards,

    AJ Ansari

    Friday, April 4, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Same here, I'm pretty sure I did everything right. I followed the steps and everything. I've never submitted a Windows app before though so I might have done something wrong. Please help!
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:16 PM
  • Same.
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Fixed it! The App Identity in the Associate App with the Store menu shouldn't be in quotes. The page that tells you how to do this made it seem like it should be. That should probably be reworded. Instead of, for example "1234user.YourAppName" it should be 1234user.YourAppName. This worked for me. Should be the problem you all are having as well.
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Mine's already listed without the double quotes. My app's display name has an apostrophe in it. I'm starting to think that special characters are causing the issue. I've already experienced it elsewhere in App Studio - any time I use a ' or & character, the published app shows the value in the HTML special character equivalent. I have some information coming from an RSS feed off a blog, and it does the same thing with special characters in the blog text as well.

    App Studio was a great place for me to get started, but it's so annoying that even simple things don't behave as they should:

    * Flip Tile template messes up the large rectangular tile by magnifying the icon so much that only the top half is visible.

    * On the Cycle Tile template, the image source field / dropdown doesn't work and I end up with a white square instead of my icon in the tile when the app is published

    * Special characters like quotes and ampersands are handled poorly

    * After a recent update, my splash screen no longer on WP shows even though I did not change anything about. I just added a larger splash screen in the placeholder dedicated to the Windows 8.1 app

    * And today, the Windows Phone App Studio page keeps crashing in IE 11 (using Windows 8.1 with Spring Update). It has already crashed on me four time today as I switched from one menu item to another while I was editing my app.

    I really like the idea of App Studio and would love to use it for more apps, but Microsoft really needs to address these simple issues.

    -AJ

    Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:05 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback AJ. We're looking into resolving the problem areas you mentioned.
    Friday, April 18, 2014 7:57 PM
    Moderator