none
Outlook app to monitor incoming email RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement to monitor a shared email account in Outlook 2010 for incoming email, checking for a specific subject line.  If found then move email to a folder, if not found in a set amount of time then send out an alert email.  What is the best way to handle this?  Writing a custom app with EWS? Is there a third party tool out there that could handle it?  Or can Outlooks rules and alerts handle it out of the box?  I need this to run 24x7.

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:32 PM

Answers

• Hi ChuckMN,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I think you can break this task into 2 small pieces.

>for incoming email, checking for a specific subject line.  If found then move email to a folder.

This part can be done with the built-in "Rules and Alerts" functionality.

>if not found in a set amount of time then send out an alert email.

As far as I know, this part cannot be done "Rules and Alerts". You can create a Macro which will trigger by to Application.NewMailEx Event to accomplish this task.

>What is the best way to handle this?  Writing a custom app with EWS?

Since I've no insight into Exchange Web Service, you can post your issue in a EWS forum for better support.

>Is there a third party tool out there that could handle it?

Third party tools related issue is not Officially supported in this forum. Hope community members could give you more suggestion on this.

>Or can Outlooks rules and alerts handle it out of the box?  I need this to run 24x7.

Rules can be divided into 2 categories, server side rules and client side rules. Since add rules is not development related, you can post rules related issues on Outlook Answers Forum.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:39 AM