none
font display RRS feed

• Question

• Notice that sites such as USA Today and ESPN the fonts are not noticeably darker on the mac.  On our site the difference is quite noticeable.  What/how do I do in Web Expression so that the font heaviness looks closer than it currently is.

www.epi.msu.edu/alumni

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:14 PM

Answers

• What Paladyn says is probably right about the gamma. But a further consideration is that you can't count on it displaying the same from one Mac to another or one Wndows computer to another.

The Macs you're using may all still be set to factory specs (or, in a graphics department, calibrated to one standard), so they look alike. But you can't say that of any other Mac that visitors use. Brightness, contrast, gamma, and color balance are all user-adjustable. The Web ain't print, and you have to allow for that.

Further, there is this, from your style sheet, 1.css:

font-family: "Segoe UI", Tahoma, Geneva, Verdana;
    font-size: 13px;

Look at the Windows and Mac computers again. not only is the font color not the same, it isn't even the same font that's being displayed. Segoe UI is on Windows Vista, 7, and 8 (for use in the User Interface, hence the name), but not XP. And it's not of Macs at all (that's why you use font families). So XP computers and Macs are showing Tahoma (maybe not on some Macs, which means they'll be showing Geneva (which isn't on Windows computers as a standard font)). And iPads? Android tablets? Smart phones? You have no idea what font they are displaying. So, given the above, I wouldn't worry about the shade of gray.

You have one real font problem, though. Sizing fonts in px precludes people who use Internet Explorer from using the zoom text-only feature. Other browsers will scale fonts set in px; IE won't. So people who have laptops or other high-resolution displays (or who need to compensate for vision problems) are screwed if they use IE.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

• Edited by Bill Pearson Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by mw610 Friday, May 23, 2014 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Your issue really doesn't have anything to do with Expression Web. You may have more luck just doing a general search on font presentation differences between Windows and MACs and seeing if you can find something that points you in the right direction. (For example I found three forums (1) one asserting that MAC presents fonts bolder than Windows, period, (2) one where a .win -specific CSS rule was in the site, and (3) one saying different fonts (which may be the difference between what is displaying on the MAC vs Windows, depending on your font families) treat numerical font-weights differently (as opposed to font-weight:bold, for example).  Are they (a) true or (b) relevant to you? I have no idea. I don't have a MAC.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:52 PM

All replies

• The difference is caused by the gamma difference between macs and PCs. This causes differences in the relationship between lights and darks on the two respective platforms. This may be a guess, but I would wager that you are not using absolute font color, but shades of gray.

As an experiment, set some of your text to a font color of black, then view on both a Mac and a PC. Are the differences between the two as great as when a shade of gray is used? This may also explain why those reference sites you named don't seem to suffer from this issue—they're using black or near black for their font color.

As for remedying it, I can't imagine that there is much you can do other than using black as your font color. This is not an EW issue, nor an HTML/CSS issue, or even a browser issue, but one of the differences in hardware.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:54 PM
  • What Paladyn says is probably right about the gamma. But a further consideration is that you can't count on it displaying the same from one Mac to another or one Wndows computer to another.

The Macs you're using may all still be set to factory specs (or, in a graphics department, calibrated to one standard), so they look alike. But you can't say that of any other Mac that visitors use. Brightness, contrast, gamma, and color balance are all user-adjustable. The Web ain't print, and you have to allow for that.

Further, there is this, from your style sheet, 1.css:

font-family: "Segoe UI", Tahoma, Geneva, Verdana;
    font-size: 13px;

Look at the Windows and Mac computers again. not only is the font color not the same, it isn't even the same font that's being displayed. Segoe UI is on Windows Vista, 7, and 8 (for use in the User Interface, hence the name), but not XP. And it's not of Macs at all (that's why you use font families). So XP computers and Macs are showing Tahoma (maybe not on some Macs, which means they'll be showing Geneva (which isn't on Windows computers as a standard font)). And iPads? Android tablets? Smart phones? You have no idea what font they are displaying. So, given the above, I wouldn't worry about the shade of gray.

You have one real font problem, though. Sizing fonts in px precludes people who use Internet Explorer from using the zoom text-only feature. Other browsers will scale fonts set in px; IE won't. So people who have laptops or other high-resolution displays (or who need to compensate for vision problems) are screwed if they use IE.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

• Edited by Bill Pearson Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:17 AM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:56 PM
  • Thanks Scott for your reply.  I don't think it's an issue or black or grey as I've looked at other web sites with a mac that are displaying lighter colors and they are displaying correctly.    I also changed the font, color and switched to em and nothing changed.  For a reason I can't figure out my site displays the fonts in a mac almost like I've asked it to display in a bold font manner.  When I look at many different site, usa today, cnn, fox, espn etc they seem to have this under control.  It seems like I need to do or add something so it won't render on the mac in a bold font.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:54 PM
  • The issue seems to be from my site the fonts on the mac are displaying as if I requested that the fonts be displayed in bold while on a  windows environment regardless of which windows OS or browser it displays correctly. 
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:56 PM
  • Thanks for your reply and help in getting this solved for me.  As I mentioned changing the font, color or size does not make a difference.  It is still displaying the fonts almost in a bold like manner.  I've looked at other sites with a mac different font sizes, colors and they don't display in a bold type manner so I must be doing something wrong or need to add something in the coding.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:58 PM
  • I do agree and notice that the Segoe UI font does create a problem and when I switch that out the gap between the mac and windows narrows.  Although mac is still having the tendency to render the font with a little more of a bold design.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:19 PM
  • Your issue really doesn't have anything to do with Expression Web. You may have more luck just doing a general search on font presentation differences between Windows and MACs and seeing if you can find something that points you in the right direction. (For example I found three forums (1) one asserting that MAC presents fonts bolder than Windows, period, (2) one where a .win -specific CSS rule was in the site, and (3) one saying different fonts (which may be the difference between what is displaying on the MAC vs Windows, depending on your font families) treat numerical font-weights differently (as opposed to font-weight:bold, for example).  Are they (a) true or (b) relevant to you? I have no idea. I don't have a MAC.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:52 PM