Server Won't Run Lightswitch HTML Client RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Server 2008R2 Enterprise Edition server with IIS 7.5. I can publish Lightswitch desktop clients and ASP.NET websites to it, but when I publish a Lightswitch 2012 or 2013 HTML client I get the following server configuration error:

Server Error in '/HTMLClient' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.LightSwitch.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error: 
    Line 185:        <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    Line 186:        <add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />
    Line 187:        <add assembly="Microsoft.LightSwitch.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    Line 188:      </assemblies>
    Line 189:    </compilation>

I have verified that Microsoft.Lightswitch.Server.dll is in the bin folder of the application. I have also verified that it is the same version that is referenced in the application, which runs fine on my dev machine.

I'd appreciate any help you could give!

Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• HI GerryW

Many things should be taken into consideration when we deploy LightSwitch to IIS, such as:

- Sql connection, firewall ports, instance ports, sql not started, sql browser not started. Sql user/pass not right.
    - IIS App pool not set to ASP.NET v4.0
    - IIS Authentication not set to Anonymous and Forms. Other methods can not be enabled.
    - LS Prereqs check box checked, but LS server prereqs not installed on server. etc.

For this issue, first it's recommanded to follow the List of LS deploy issues to troubleshoot, at the same time diagnosing problems in a deployed 3-Tier LightSwitch application is also avaialble for you.

Best regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Angie Xu Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:07 AM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 3:28 AM
  • Thanks for replying, Angie. It turned out that there was no bin directory in my HTMLClient folder. I looked in the root app folder and saw a bin folder and thought everything was okay.

I finally enabled assembly bind failure logging and saw that the bin path the app was looking for didn't exist. 

Here is where I learned to enable the logging: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/255669/how-to-enable-assembly-bind-failure-logging-fusion-in-net

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, December 30, 2013 10:15 AM
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:39 PM
  • HI Gerry

Thanks for your feedback, glad that you find the root of this problem.

Note:

Deployment always is difficult because there are just so many hardware & software variables outside of LightSwitch that can affect publishing. Generally, Azure websites are a great alternative because they are already configured properly.

Best regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:41 AM