none
Looking for Unity-compatible mo cap recording RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create Unity-compatible animation files of a seated solo performer using a low-cost add-on to Kinect for Windows v2.

I've been surprised that there are seemingly no tutorials or open-source solutions for this very common situation. I've already looked at iClone, IpiSoft, and Brekel but they are either expensive or discontinued.

Any recommended solutions?

Monday, August 1, 2016 2:34 AM

Answers

• There is a Unity asset called "Kinect v2 MoCap Animator" that supposedly converts captured user motions as fbx animation clips:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/51090

I only use RF Solutions's "Kinect v2 Examples with MS-SDK" asset, so I don't know anything about it. But if you want Unity-compatible, that is probably your best choice. Contact the developer through the "Support E-mail" to see if it will suit your needs. He is quite responsive, though might be currently on vacation.
    • Proposed as answer by Yanis Lukes Monday, August 1, 2016 9:14 AM
    • Edited by Yanis Lukes Monday, August 1, 2016 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by David-dp- Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:25 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 9:14 AM

All replies

• There is a Unity asset called "Kinect v2 MoCap Animator" that supposedly converts captured user motions as fbx animation clips:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/51090

I only use RF Solutions's "Kinect v2 Examples with MS-SDK" asset, so I don't know anything about it. But if you want Unity-compatible, that is probably your best choice. Contact the developer through the "Support E-mail" to see if it will suit your needs. He is quite responsive, though might be currently on vacation.
    • Proposed as answer by Yanis Lukes Monday, August 1, 2016 9:14 AM
    • Edited by Yanis Lukes Monday, August 1, 2016 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by David-dp- Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:25 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2016 9:14 AM
  • "Kinect v2 MoCap Animator" does capture motion via KinectV2 from within Unity and store it as an fbx file.

Though it's not the fault of that tool, I found that KinectV2 seems unable to detect rotation of the head or hands, so this isn't a solution (yet) for making animations of most conversational gestures, which is what I'm after.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:28 AM
  • Kinect does not keep orientation data for leaf joints. Therefore the Head joint or the Foot joints or the Hand(or HandTip, can't remember what the last hand joint is) joints will not have such data no matter what. If that's all you need, in some cases, you could perhaps check the previous joint for the orientation data.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 9:50 PM