Blur Effect has no effect RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if the Blur class is supported in Office - meaning, does it change the results in Open XML documents? I've tried even manually editing in PowerPoint both a blipFill as well as a buBlip and it doesn't have any real effect.  

<a:blip r:embed="rId2" cstate="print">
      <a:blur rad="270000" grow="1"/>
    </a:blip>

In the case of a buBlip, nothing happens. In the case of a blipFill, the image just shows as 100% transparent.

Anyone know if it is supported in PowerPoint and if so, why it doesn't really do anything?

十門
    Monday, June 21, 2010 4:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Okatu,

Thanks for your question.

Looking into your problem, I find that the value of "rad" property you set is too large, that's why the effect is almost transparent. You could try to change the value (e.g., a value in [0, 100]) and see the result.

By the way, could you describe a bit more about why you need to set such a big value?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lu

• Marked as answer by Todd Main Friday, June 25, 2010 4:49 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hello Okatu,

If I format a shape in the PowerPoint, I find there is no blur option in the Fill tab no matter what type of fill I select. That probably means that currently Office does not support the blur on shape's internal fill.

But in the Shadow tab, I can see a blur option to adjust. Because this setting is for Shadow blur, so it should have the similar effect as the FillBlur with grow setting to true. (With grow set to true, the blur effect can extend beyond the original bounds of the object)

The shape in PPT looks like,

And the content of PPT slide open xml file is,

<a:effectLst>
      <a:outerShdw blurRad="1270000" dist="50800" dir="5400000" algn="ctr" rotWithShape="0">
         <a:srgbClr val="000000">
           <a:alpha val="43137" /> 
         </a:srgbClr>
      </a:outerShdw>
    </a:effectLst>

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 8:22 AM
  • Thanks Ji Zhou for trying. Unfortunately, that's not the question I'm asking. The question is: Does the Blur Effect (part of Open XML SDK) work in PowerPoint if it is set programmatically via the SDK? In my tests, it did not, but I don't know if I'm putting in wrong values or if it just isn't supported in PowerPoint.  Does anyone know?
    十門
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Hi Okatu,

Thanks for your question.

Looking into your problem, I find that the value of "rad" property you set is too large, that's why the effect is almost transparent. You could try to change the value (e.g., a value in [0, 100]) and see the result.

By the way, could you describe a bit more about why you need to set such a big value?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lu

• Marked as answer by Todd Main Friday, June 25, 2010 4:49 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Lu Zhang,

Thank you - that solved it! Don't know why, but I had thought that value needed was an angle (i.e. "rad" means "radius") and so it would expect a degree from 360 degrees and using degrees before in Open XML, they are all multiplied by 60,000 - hence the large number. But your advice fixed it and I can now see the blur.

Cheers,

Otaku

十門
    Friday, June 25, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Hi Okatu,

Thanks for your feedback. After searching the Internet, I find the radius might not be related to a degree but defines the range of the blur effect spreads. So if the value () is too large, the effect will spread out of the image so that making the blur look like transparent.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lu

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:38 AM