none
Determine version of Word that document was created in RRS feed

• Question

• We're in the process of upgrading from Word 2003 to Word 2010. We have a library of documents in our document management system and an unknown number of documents were created using an older version(97? 2000?) of Word. Is there a way to programmatically see what each document in the library was created with?

I did see this possible solution below, but that is just opening 1 document at a time, out of thousands of documents.

http://word.tips.net/T000601_Determining_Word_Versions_of_Documents.html

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi JManci

It is possible to inspect the "internals" of a Word file, but much simpler with files saved in the newer docx (or similar) file format than in the old *.doc file format. Theoretically, you can write a program that can "scan" the content of a Word document without actually opening it in any other application. For the new file format, you can use the Open XML SDK; for the old proprietary format it's a bit more work and not something I've ever done. But the specs are publicly available and there's a forum here on MSDN.

For the newer document format, your first stop for resources is OpenXMLDEveloper.org.

The older file format:
    - Forum
    - obtaining

I recall there's something - at least in the newer files - that does give the version of Word used to create them. But at the moment my brain is pulling up the details on what "property" one has to look for...

No matter which route you choose, you will have no choice than to work with the files individually...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:57 PM
  • We're going to try to look at the Compatability options - if any are checked, we're going to assume that the document was not created in Word 2003. Depending on how we re-do our older documents, we're going to consider adding a CustomProperty for Word 2010. Thanks for your help.
    Monday, June 4, 2012 1:37 PM

All replies

• Hi JMANCI,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience that Word PIA doesn't provide somthing to recode what you mentioned. I would recommend create a customeProperty to recode it for your document. Then you can access it via PIA or OpenXml sdk.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:29 AM
  • Hi JManci

It is possible to inspect the "internals" of a Word file, but much simpler with files saved in the newer docx (or similar) file format than in the old *.doc file format. Theoretically, you can write a program that can "scan" the content of a Word document without actually opening it in any other application. For the new file format, you can use the Open XML SDK; for the old proprietary format it's a bit more work and not something I've ever done. But the specs are publicly available and there's a forum here on MSDN.

For the newer document format, your first stop for resources is OpenXMLDEveloper.org.

The older file format:
    - Forum
    - obtaining

I recall there's something - at least in the newer files - that does give the version of Word used to create them. But at the moment my brain is pulling up the details on what "property" one has to look for...

No matter which route you choose, you will have no choice than to work with the files individually...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:57 PM
  • We're going to try to look at the Compatability options - if any are checked, we're going to assume that the document was not created in Word 2003. Depending on how we re-do our older documents, we're going to consider adding a CustomProperty for Word 2010. Thanks for your help.
    Monday, June 4, 2012 1:37 PM