none
How to open VS 2013 Project in VS 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have VS 2017 and would like to open the VS 2013 project solution. Please advise the steps to upgrade and open VS 2013 project solution in VS 2017. I appreciate your help!

Thank you!

Narayana Reddy G

Sunday, May 13, 2018 3:10 PM

All replies

• VS2017 is capable of opening VS2013 solutions/projects. Have you tried to do that?  If so, does it offer to upgrade the VS2013 projects?
    Sunday, May 13, 2018 4:07 PM
  • Make a copy of the VS2013 project first so you have a backup.

AFAIK later versions of Visual Studio upgrade projects from earlier versions of Visual Studio whenever the earlier version is opened in the later version. With questions asked during the upgrade.

On the other hand the version of VS2017 may need to be equal to or greater than the version of VS2013 used probably. I don't know if you had VS2013 ultimate with whatever capabilities it offered if then you may not be able to upgrade the app in VS2017 community for example.

And then there's an issue of Framework used. For .Net 3.5 and earlier they may have to be turned on within the PC that is being used, as they come with Win10 but are not on, so that an upgrade would have the appropriate frameworks necessary for whatever the original app was compiled to.

I believe by default VS 2017 would have the latest framework compatible down to .Net 4.0 without the 3.5 and less feature turned on in a Win10 PC.

La vida loca

Sunday, May 13, 2018 6:23 PM
  • Below is the screenshot error I have. It says This project needs to be migrated but I do not find any option there to migrate. Please advise and thank you!

screenshot

Narayana Reddy G

Monday, May 14, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Below is the screenshot error I have. It says This project needs to be migrated but I do not find any option there to migrate. Please advise and thank you!screenshot

Narayana Reddy G

Monday, May 14, 2018 8:15 AM